Angelus

Having read about the visit of our blogging friends Howard and Ben, LondonFood,and decided we had to go West.

Angelus is owned by Thierry Tomasin, the ex-Chief Sommelier at The Gavroche.

Contact details & their Website and is situated in a street not far from Lancaster Gate tube station.

The wine list, naturaly, was impressive and big on French wines. The mark up is about 100%

We had a splendid lunch here on Saturday.

When we arrived early we thought it'd be a good idea to have a Bloody Mary and a cigarette before lunch. We sat on the little tables outside next to the mews where the Hyde Park Riding School was torturing rich kids all called Tabatha and Ptolemy :D An aperitif complemented with gently wasping L'odeur de Merde de Cheval **** Interesting!

When the time came for lunch Thierry suggested we remained outside because they were completely chocca.

Had to have the foie brulee and Cornish Crab in Fennel mousse. The foie was absolutely perfect. A little crunch with the sunflower seeds but perfect nonetheless. The crab was very fresh, altough a little cold and the fennel was very distinctive but didn't overpower the crab.

A little rest and a bit of voyeurism. Don't they do "party bags" in Lancaster Gate? All of the children coming out of a party at 3pm had packages wrapped in tin foil.

The horses plodded in and out with various shapes and sizes of riders.

Mains were the rabbit and foie pie and the roasted anjou pigeon. Very nearly not served as the Maitre d' indulged us with anecdotes about MPW, Jean Chrisophe Novelli among others. I'm sure it was a ploy to steal my pie :D

The pie was gamey, strong and delicious. The pastry perfect. Then I had to share it with Gavin :angry: The pigeon came with legs, breast and liver on toast. Excellent dish.

To drink, we had a half bottle of 2004 Mersault Clos Des Luchets , Jean-Pierre Diconne and a half bottle of 2004 Vosne-Romanee Domaine Forey, Pierre et Fils.

The Mersault was a perfect match for the starters, the Forey was a little bit young for the depths of meat flavours we ate.

A rest the some cheese, coffee, Grappa and Castared XO whilst watching the tiniest of kids, nor more than 3 years old walking like John Wayne. Such great pain and grimacing. Obviously their first lesson.

The bill came to £155-00 including a 12.5% tip.

I retreated indoors to powder my nose and returned to find Gavin and Thierry deep in conversation.