Here is the DMN's review of foods found at the Fair this year. The winner is Deep Fried Latte and the fried cookie dough. There is the ubiquitous smoked turkey legs (I just never got this one, but I do not like turkey legs). But Bill Addison, the DMN critic liked the fried guacamole and the classic corn dog. What is your favorite fair food. My favorite here is the steak sandwich produced by the Oklahoma Beef commission.

I usually hit the Texas State Fair three or four times while it's running, my motto being, "If they fry it, I will try it." The one constant through it all, though, is Fletcher's corn dogs--particularly the jalapeno cheese one they've done in recent years. I'll get at least one, every time I'm there.

Scott

For those of us in Southern California, it's as if the California State Fair (in Sacramento) does not exist. Instead, we frequent the LA County Fair. This year the new fry is Coke. I don't know--they use syrup and batter and it ends up tasting like Coke.

I usually hit the Texas State Fair three or four times while it's running, my motto being, "If they fry it, I will try it." The one constant through it all, though, is Fletcher's corn dogs--particularly the jalapeno cheese one they've done in recent years. I'll get at least one, every time I'm there.

Scott

I was going to say corn dogs, but then I read about a jalapeno cheese one. I'm SURE that's my real favorite, even though I've never had one.

And I'm also a sucker for funnel cakes.

At the Tulsa State Fair, they were making apple fries. They peel an apple and then push it through a french fry maker, so the apple strips are fairly long and thin, not just wedges of apple. They dust them with a mixture of flour and cinnamon and then deep fry them. You dip them into a caramel sauce.

We didn't try them, but they looked intriguing. I have absolutely no idea at all how they'd taste.

Maybe next year, I'll give them a go.

And I agree with Joiei that the steak sandwiches were yummy.

The winner is Deep Fried Latte

I can't even picture this in my head. Is it stablized (carrageenanized) milk product? What the heck would it taste like? Grease, I suppose. The original Trans Fat flavor. If you are lucky it is Crisco, maybe?

The winner is Deep Fried Latte

I can't even picture this in my head. Is it stablized (carrageenanized) milk product? What the heck would it taste like? Grease, I suppose. The original Trans Fat flavor. If you are lucky it is Crisco, maybe?

click on the link at the beginning of the original post and you can see a picture of all the fried foods of TXSF. THe link takes you to the Guidelive section of the Dallas Morning News from today. They have to get everyone all riled up for the Texas/Oklahoma game coming up this weekend at the Cotton Bowl which is at the fair and is a fair tradition.

They have to get everyone all riled up for the Texas/Oklahoma game coming up this weekend at the Cotton Bowl which is at the fair and is a fair tradition.

Isn't riled up the starting point?

:lol:

Yep, I think Texas/Oklahoma invented riled up.

They have to get everyone all riled up for the Texas/Oklahoma game coming up this weekend at the Cotton Bowl which is at the fair and is a fair tradition.

You heard about the guy in Oklahoma City who shot another person in a bar because he was wearing a Texas t-shirt didn't you?

You heard about the guy in Oklahoma City who shot another person in a bar because he was wearing a Texas t-shirt didn't you?

Is he gonna try the State Fair food defense?

Is he gonna try the State Fair food defense?

He's gonna fry.

Actually, it was a near-castration (by a church deacon against a...wait for it...meat cutter at Sam's Club):

"He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body," said Thomas' attorney, Carl Hughes. "He was wearing a pair of white shorts, which made it that much worse."

Neither of the men involved attended OU or UT (not surprising).

I am disappointed to say that the whipped cream looks like the stuff that comes out of a can.

Is fried food a tradition at the State Fair? Is there always a cardiologist on call?