• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

They were among the first places that registered with me on my first trips to New York, when I often stayed in the Washington Square Hotel, then a cheap dive (and opposite that old restaurant which would one day be Babbo).

We'll now have to steer by Caliente Cab Co.

At least Tio Pepe, on the same block, is still there. First place I ever had black bean soup at.

Thanks for correcting me, I'm sure you've never made a typo in your entire life.

Of course I have. But I usually fact-check, and then proof everything several times before sending/posting. For example, when I discovered a few weeks after I turned in a job that I'd trusted an author who referred to "Axel" [Rose], I sent an email to the production editor to apologize and make sure it got fixed. One instance of when I didn't proof carefully, which lives in editorial infamy and that I use as an example of how everyone needs an a proofreader, was the time I headed an item in a newsletter I did "The Editor Need Help."

My name gets butchered in some amazing ways, to the point that some important emails never reach me, so I'm especially sensitive about the correct spelling of names.

If everyone here has time to proof and fact check everything several times before posting on a message board, there would be no posts here.

Though, as things are going, that's probably not a bad thing.

I have no choice; that's how I operate.

And believe it or not, I sometimes consider before I hit that "Post" button. And then I don't hit it. Might be good if more people did that more often. But ymmv.

that old restaurant which would one day be Babbo).

Proof that you moved to New York after the '80s.

Visitor in the 80s, resident in the 90s.

Fixture in the 10s.

• 3 weeks later...

We don't seem to have a thread for this place, but The Grocery in Brooklyn is closing. Apparently there's no rent increase or skulduggery behind the scenes: the husband-and-wife team behind the place simply want a break.

I never went there, but as I recall, it had stratospheric Zagat ratings (at one time), prompting a rare (at that time) visit to Brooklyn by the NYT critic to find out what the fuss was all about. Alas, the critic saw no reason to revise his previous one-star rating.

As I recall, erstwhile MF and eG poster Rich Schulhof was a big supporter.

It was pretty widely believed that the stratospheric Zagat rating was the result of ballotstuffing.

My wife and I went there all the time, when it was one of the better entries in the first-and-a-half wave of NBC. While history might have left it behind, it's nice that it got to close voluntarily.