g.johnson

Death Pool

Damn. I used to get my eggs/rice/beans/avocado there, when I lived around the corner. Just like I used to get my eggs/rice/beans/avocado at Sam Chinita, when I lived around the corner. (I am lazy.)

On 6/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, Wilfrid said:

I eventually forgot about the new location. Went a couple of times; I think only once to the original.

Looks like I was talking about Mancora. No, Aureole.

Because I completely overlooked the Mancora post. I probably ate there fifty times, and it holds lots of memories, like one of my daughter's graduation parties. The grilled heart was a classic, the raw duck ceviche was interesting, and everything else was solid, with the chicken plus two sides being absurd value.

Sad.

There's one on the corner of Broadway and 95th - directly opposite Symphony Space.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:58 PM, Wilfrid said:

Looks like I was talking about Mancora. No, Aureole.

Because I completely overlooked the Mancora post. I probably ate there fifty times, and it holds lots of memories, like one of my daughter's graduation parties. The grilled heart was a classic, the raw duck ceviche was interesting, and everything else was solid, with the chicken plus two sides being absurd value.

Sad.

I don't know what the old location was like (I think the owner has fallen ill and is no longer involved with the new one), but imagine a dark sub-basement, sprawling across multiple small rooms, uniformly covered in grease with pots of defrosting / rotting chicken here and there, fridges full of mystery buckets smeared in their history, and no sign of fresh ingredients, all shared between Mancora and an Indian restaurant... I think they probably didn't even clean up after the years of Banjara operating from that space. 

re: Mancora (not Aureole).  I remember their location (before the East Village?) on Smith St.  They had an outdoor garden in back and the food was good.  It went downhill and they sold the spot to Coco Roco, a Park Slope similar place that wasn't bad for awhile.  I went to the EV Mancora a couple of times and was never impressed.

Both Archies shutdown, pretty scandalous 

5 minutes ago, sweatshorts said:

Le Sia in the East Village permanently closed.

that's too bad... While I hated the place, a lot of people liked it. It was the start of good things to come. 

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

While I hated the place

I didn't hate it, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. It was fine for what it was.

1 minute ago, small h said:

I didn't hate it, but I didn't see what all the fuss was about. It was fine for what it was.

I didn't hate it until the fuss was made... Entirely not their fault but, that's the way my brain works.  It was an average place but a wonderful concept, just poorly executed.. I was hopeful that a better version that was opened late would have emerged but, yeh, no, not for a bit now. 

Il Mulino is filing Chapter 11 for 7 of its 11 outposts. The Las Vegas branch being one of those (good riddance). The Greenwich Village flagship is not on the list.