g.johnson

Death Pool

Sorry. But it was one of the most egregious ripoffs in Las Vegas. And that is a high bar to vault.

I actually like the original. My first experience there was for my college roommate's wedding rehearsal dinner. But I haven't been back in many years. How is it these days?

Admittedly, we haven't gone for 10 or so years, but the rip off was minor (compared to the many less good places) if you didn't let them up-sell you.  They had no conscience and would recite specials with one or two minor changes (not better ingredients either)  from the menu listings, but you'd find the dish was charged at 3x the menu dish's price.  Same with wine.  However, for the type of food/style it was, it was a much better place to eat than just about any other than Park Side.  And we found that the one in nearby Long Island was easier to deal with and friendlier.  And, not that I'm comparing oranges to tangerines, but I'd rather eat there than Carbone.

So, that brings up another restaurant from my past...My neighbors in Ponte Vedra (FL) were General Richard and Ivana Cella. He was the owner of Christ Cella. Even though he had retired from the restaurant, they always made sure if I was visiting NYC, I got a table and a meal. I never saw a check. Saw many celebrities there over the years. And ate many great pieces of beef. Anyone remember it?