• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

Who is Ryan Sutton, is he young?  I always just assumed all of these people are so much older than me but, that was my line of thinking 15 years ago.. Now, I am the old one. 

56 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

That's the thing.  For all his railing against "the 1%", I don't think Sutton really minds Finance Bros.  They're young!  He just doesn't like Olds and the way they eat.

Of course he doesn't, he was describing every other dish as "heady" at Bloomberg before he did it at Eater.

7 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

But yes, there's a lot else to object to, like the implication in the closing sentence that it's mandatory for restaurants to have "culinary significance." Why? Countries like France and Spain (just looking at Europe) are full of good places to eat at all levels which have no particular "significance." Which brings me to the silly Pete Wells comment which I hadn't previously noticed: "strait-laced, spice-free food" is not just eaten by rich white Americans. French bistro cuisine, for example, is largely spice-free and could certainly be described as "strait-laced." European "peasant" cuisine (as in The Rich Tradition) is rarely spicy (okay, paprika) and is not exactly permissive, abandoned, reckless or dissolute (opposite terms to "strait-laced" according to the internet).

Here I go sounding like a broken record, but that's a consequence of not having a strong indigenous food culture.

No one expects "significance" from steakhouses -- they're just allowed to be what they are, cuz they're something we all know and can appreciate without thinking about it.  But at least up here in New York that's about all we've got.  Everything else has to be "significant" because we don't have deeply embedded traditional foodways to fall back on and appreciate almost instinctively as they do in France and Spain.

3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

That's the thing.  For all his railing against "the 1%", I don't think Sutton really minds Finance Bros.  They're young!  He just doesn't like Olds and the way they eat.

He dislikes them, but he doesn't dislike the way they eat: https://ny.eater.com/2019/10/15/20913008/sushi-noda-noz-review-nyc-restaurant-omakase

The review of Gabriel Kreuther maybe fills in the story - https://ny.eater.com/2015/11/18/9752834/gabriel-kreuther-restaurant-review/. Culturally, it seems directionally correct - chef with one restaurant serving ambitious food on his own in a fairly classic style - but Sutton objects to the style of the restaurant, despite conceding that it's well done ("generous"). He wants to say it's "snooty" but he can't, because he doesn't actually assess it to be that, so he falls back on "inaccessible".

@sneak Yes and no. I think this country does have deeply embedded regional cuisines. Not all are good. One thing we saw in the last decade was a movement in New York I called something like “new American bistro” which saw places being very successful serving American food (seafood, salads, grills) in settings which would appeal to downtown/Brooklyn crowds. 

Places like St Anselm, Masten Lake, Runner, The Pines, and so many others, fit or fitted that description. In a way, Roberta’s does (not the back room). So Sutton is just applying the “significance” criterion to a place he suddenly feels politically correct about.