1 minute ago, Sneakeater said:

And the thing is, it leads you to idiotic results.  Like Sutton on The Grill v. Sutton on TAK Room.

Yes, I agree with this. But a principled objection to both on cultural grounds is possible. As is a principled objection to one over the other on aesthetic grounds. Sutton confuses the latter for the former.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Adrian said:

I am not so sure about that. 

(It's boycotting Haydn performances in 1765)

No, because Jean-Georges is paying into an income stream I object to (so my money eventually goes somewhere I wouldn't want it to).  Whereas Haydn is receiving largesse from someone I might object to -- I'd argue, a good thing.  You couldn't pay to see Haydn when he worked for Prince Esterhazy if you wanted to.

Just now, Sneakeater said:

No, because Jean-Georges is paying into an income stream I object to (so my money eventually goes somewhere I wouldn't want it to).  Whereas Haydn is receiving largesse from someone I might object to.  You couldn't pay to see Haydn when he wrote for Prince Esterhazy if you wanted to.

I mean yes, but that wasn't the point of the ultimately hypothetical analogy.

2 hours ago, Adrian said:

there are deeply embedded American foodways, but not in New York, and often they are non-white.

I may be in way over my head here, as I often am, but the Bronx is in New York, and my family would describe itself as white (or in my case, a very washed-out olive), and we definitely have our own traditional foods.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Would you refuse to go to a restaurant because you disagreed with a principal's politics?  I wouldn't.

I would.

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

I'd boycott the restaurant Jean Georges for reasons similar to Roz's boycott of TAK Room.  But that's different in that it's extraneous to the restaurant.

Just to note that I took Jean Georges off our restaurant list 4 years ago.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rozrapp said:

Just to note that I took Jean Georges off our restaurant list 4 years ago.

Just so the world knows, I'm willing to pay money into Stephen Ross's income stream, because all I do is disagree with him politically.

The organization receiving J-G's rent, OTOH, is, as I see it, engaged in an ongoing scheme to use political position to loot the American polity.  That's different.

6 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Meanwhile, Sutton loved Momofuku Kawi, also in this development.

Sutton, like everyone at eater, is a fucking moron. 

• Like 1

This is NOT extraneous political discussion.  This is DIRECT discussion of restaurants, which exist in the real world, which includes politics.

Talking about restaurants as if they don't is just brain-dead.