• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

The food certainly replacement, the service, well everyone is dying off soon enough.  The room, not replaceable.. The oyster bar opened a few locations in airports and they were able to replicate the shitty food.   This coming from someone who loves the oyster bar, the one in grand central station

Park Slope had a lame GCOB location too, for a couple of years. By then I'd moved away, so I couldn't be desperately tempted. In the aughts I'd counted on oysters a block south at Blue Ribbon. That Blue Ribbon was open even the first night of the 2003 blackout.

My last pan roast at the original GCOB was also a fine beery breakfast. I'd been getting up late to adjust to Osaka time, and ate before picking up Japan Rail passes at the nearby consulate.

Oyster Bar pan roast breakfast 2014.jpg

8 minutes ago, Josh Karpf said:

In the aughts I'd counted on oysters a block south at Blue Ribbon. That Blue Ribbon was open even the first night of the 2003 blackout.

Ha, I ate there that night! I was walking South on 5th with a few friends, and about half a block after passing them it suddenly hit me their lights were on. I think they’d borrowed a couple generators from a nearby film set. IIRC there were many oysters, and that steak for two “special” that was a special literally every night since they’d opened. And that hot bread. 

Speaking of BRPS, dunno if it’s been noted in this thread yet but they closed up shop earlier this year. I hadn’t been in some time but I felt an emptiness nonetheless. It was nice knowing that -if- I needed bone marrow at 3AM they were always right down the street, even if my 3AM dining days are largely in the past.

Hanjan.  According to Eater, the lease was up.  In our neighborhood, we ate there several times.  Michael especially loved the Korean Spicy Ramyun (only served after 9 p.m.).

4 hours ago, rozrapp said:

Hanjan.  According to Eater, the lease was up.  In our neighborhood, we ate there several times.  Michael especially loved the Korean Spicy Ramyun (only served after 9 p.m.).

Only made it there once but we used to love Danji when we lived nearby. Hope they are surviving. Much smaller space at least. 

We’ve never been to Danji.  But, yes, they are still open. The website says they’re doing outdoor dining, curbside pick-up, and local delivery.  My guess is they feel that given the small space, indoor dining doesn’t make sense for them.

On 10/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, Wilfrid said:

Right, it's not so much about the food. It's about the whole set-up. A bit like McSorley's, frozen in time.

You mean, it's like Sammy's.   😆  I make myself laugh.