Brazilian Hair Straightening

I have curly, frizzy hair that is very difficult to manage. I love to wear it straight, but I can't blow it out myself and it's expensive and time consuming to go to a salon. I just heard about this Brazilian hair straightening technique. It uses keratin to coat the hair strands and prevent the hair from frizzing and makes the curl relax a bit. It seems like this would make it possible for me to blow it straight regularly. Supposedly, it's healthier for the hair than other chemical straighteners and it washes out over a period of 2-4 months. The process seems like quite a hair ordeal - it takes a few hours, smells bad, you can't wash (or even wet) your hair for a few days. But if my hair becomes manageable it would be worth the trouble.

Has anyone on mouthfuls tried anything like this (or knows of anyone who has done it)? Google results all seem like advertisements rather than true testimonials. If anyone has tried this, I'd love to hear your opinion.

I just read an article about it in a women's magazine (sorry, don't remember which one, it was at the hair salon) and how it's illegal in certain places and that the formaldehyde percentage used in it is, in many cases, above the legal limit, making it unsafe for use. Apparently, the manufacturers (some US I believe)/importers are marking the products as being within the allowed limits, but when tested, they were far above the allowable. Apparently if the product contains only the amount allowed by law, it is ineffective for use in straightening hair. Sorry to be so negative, but this is the only thing I've heard about it. I'd never heard of it before reading the article.

I'd try Googling to see if you can find more info.

Spaetz, how is this different from what's called Japanese hair straightening?

Japanese hair straightening is permanent, but Brazilian hair straightening washes out in 2-4 months. I think that Japanese hair straightening also can damage the hair, but (supposedly) the Brazilian hair straightening is good for the hair. I just looked on wikipedia - Japanese hair straightening uses a "thermal reconditioning process". Brazilian hair straightening uses keratin to straighten the hair. So far, this distinction between the two is meaningless to me. I'm not sure what this means in terms of keeping the hair healthy, nor do I have a sense of the "before and after". I think I may make some phone calls to salons and see what some stylists say about this. They would have a good sense of how healthy it is and how well it works for getting rid of frizz and making hair more manageable.

The thing that doesn't appeal to me about the Japanese method is that a permanent process won't allow the hair style to grow in nicely. Also, a woman I used to know, used the Japanese hair straightening - she had thick, lovely, wavy hair and after the process, she had stick straight, dry, straw-like hair. That result may have been particular to her though, and this was also about 6 years ago.... I'm not looking for straight hair at all costs - if it's a little wavy, I don't mind. I'm looking for no more frizz and just some way to make it more manageable.

I just read an article about it in a women's magazine (sorry, don't remember which one, it was at the hair salon) and how it's illegal in certain places and that the formaldehyde percentage used in it is, in many cases, above the legal limit, making it unsafe for use. Apparently, the manufacturers (some US I believe)/importers are marking the products as being within the allowed limits, but when tested, they were far above the allowable. Apparently if the product contains only the amount allowed by law, it is ineffective for use in straightening hair. Sorry to be so negative, but this is the only thing I've heard about it. I'd never heard of it before reading the article.

I'd try Googling to see if you can find more info.

Wow. That's good information to know. I'm definitely going to research that. Formaldehyde. Yuck.

My mom had this done about two months ago. It looked great for two months and now she looks like she's back to her frizzy hair. But for two months she looked great. The process took only an hour, but she couldn't get her hair wet for 4 days. It's a lot easier than the thermal reconditioning which takes much longer, but lasts about 6 months.

This all sounds way to classy on that site.. We went down to this place in Chinatown and it was like a third of the price they wanted at a shnazzy salon.. There is also a place in Ktown that does it at a reasonable price. Miss A went to V Salon right by Oriental Garden...

Can I just say to all you ladies with curly, kinky, wavy, funky hair that if you want to do this as a fashion, and it's safe, go ahead, but I believe you should let your kink be and find a way to make it please you naturally. Processed hair makes me a little sad.

Just my thought. I bet you're beautiful already.