Brazilian Hair Straightening

Can I just say to all you ladies with curly, kinky, wavy, funky hair that if you want to do this as a fashion, and it's safe, go ahead, but I believe you should let your kink be and find a way to make it please you naturally. Processed hair makes me a little sad.

Just my thought. I bet you're beautiful already.

hairweaves must make you suicidal...

My mom had this done about two months ago. It looked great for two months and now she looks like she's back to her frizzy hair. But for two months she looked great. The process took only an hour, but she couldn't get her hair wet for 4 days. It's a lot easier than the thermal reconditioning which takes much longer, but lasts about 6 months.

Liza, when your mother had this done, did she feel uncomfortable about the formaldehyde? Did she smell it, or feel that she was ingesting it at all? That is what has me nervous....

Can I just say to all you ladies with curly, kinky, wavy, funky hair that if you want to do this as a fashion, and it's safe, go ahead, but I believe you should let your kink be and find a way to make it please you naturally. Processed hair makes me a little sad.

Just my thought. I bet you're beautiful already.

Luckily, I don't know exactly what they are. But I have a hunch the scalp isn't breathing as free as it might and yes, the sadness becomes overwhelming at that thought. Then there's the hygiene issue.

My mom had this done about two months ago. It looked great for two months and now she looks like she's back to her frizzy hair. But for two months she looked great. The process took only an hour, but she couldn't get her hair wet for 4 days. It's a lot easier than the thermal reconditioning which takes much longer, but lasts about 6 months.

Liza, when your mother had this done, did she feel uncomfortable about the formaldehyde? Did she smell it, or feel that she was ingesting it at all? That is what has me nervous....

The smell is horrific..

The smell is horrific..

Daniel, are you talking about Japanese straightening (thermal reconditioning) or the Brazilian straightening?

Luckily, I don't know exactly what they are...

Don't pretend you don't know. You and Britney. Just because you don't wear your hair in a ponytail...

1011_britney_spears_ext_pcn.jpg

Woah. I've been rendered speechless.

Luckily, I don't know exactly what they are...

Don't pretend you don't know. You and Britney. Just because you don't wear your hair in a ponytail...

1011_britney_spears_ext_pcn.jpg

Woah. I've been rendered speechless.

It really takes letting your roots show to a whole new level...

The smell is horrific..

Daniel, are you talking about Japanese straightening (thermal reconditioning) or the Brazilian straightening?

I am and have been speaking about the Japanese Hair Straightening Miss A gets done at V Salon down on Elizabeth or Hester..

Shameless shill alert: My friend Carrie works at Patrick Melville in the LA Sports Club in the Rockefeller Center. She's not thrilled by Brazilians, but they do those and Japanese hair straightening there.

She isn't thrilled by people from Brazil, or she isn't thrilled by Brazilian hair straightening?

Edit: oops, I didn't notice the link. Thanks so much - this input is very helpful. I'm feeling really wary of the chemicals...

This past March, a 33-year old Brazilian woman died after using escova progressiva, which she applied herself and left on for the four days, the amount of time salons recommend. Experts suspect that when she finally washed it out, the toxic vapors were released and asphyxiated the otherwise healthy woman in the shower.

Okay. Maybe I'll stick with my occassional blowouts.