Momofuku Ko

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm getting excited.

FUCK YEAH I'm short and bald.   Working the room.   (I guess there were one or two conferences with the people who were actually cooking.)   Two glasses.   I don't get excited

It probably has been years, though.

There are people who are born to do certain things.

As someone else pointed out once, for example, Robert Fripp was born to produce Roches records.

Stone was born to write Ko reviews.

Stone's reviews of Ko make me want to hop a plane and just wait around the city till I can snag a reservation. If only...

There are people who are born to do certain things.

As someone else pointed out once, for example, Robert Fripp was born to produce Roches records.

Stone was born to write Ko reviews.

Stone's reviews of Ko make me want to hop a plane and just wait around the city till I can snag a reservation. If only...

Stone's reviews of Ko make me hope he can get a reservation any time he wants. I haven't laughed that hard in a while!!! :lol:

My experience... good, but I like Ssam Bar better in every way possible.

I was stuffed -- stuffed! -- by the end.

Were you sitting next to a very tall, very sober fellow who looked like he wanted to tongue-kiss the chef?

I was stuffed -- stuffed! -- by the end.

My initial feeling was that I didn't like Ko more than Ssam Bar. But I'm going to have to eat more at Ko before I can really decide that.

I didn't feel stuffed at all after my Ko meal. But that's probably why I'm such a lumbering mess.

My initial feeling was that I didn't like Ko more than Ssam Bar. But I'm going to have to eat more at Ko before I can really decide that.

My Ko meal, taken as a whole, was better than any of the three Ssam Bar meals I've had. But at the moment, I don't think Ko would reward repeat visits as well as Ssam Bar does. The menu at Ko seems (from various reports) to be relatively static, with minor variations. There's nothing necessarily bad about that, as I suspect the majority of diners are first-time visitors who haven't yet licked the scrotum of the Lord. But at Ssam Bar, you can put together multiple solid meals in a row without repeating anything, and you don't have to surrender all your choices to the whims of the chef.

The menu at Ko seems (from various reports) to be relatively static, with minor variations.

More accurately as David mentioned to me, that they're tweaking things all the time except that if you go more than once a week [or indeed more than twice a month], the changes aren't really noticeable until you look at the big picture.

The menu at Ko seems (from various reports) to be relatively static, with minor variations.

More accurately as David mentioned to me, that they're tweaking things all the time except that if you go more than once a week [or indeed more than twice a month], the changes aren't really noticeable until you look at the big picture.

I haven't actually tried this, but based on the reports I read, the meals being served today seem fairly similar to those that were served at the opening. One could argue that the food is good enough that even these tweaks are worth going back for. You might have to be a Chang acolyte to agree.

I haven't actually tried this, but based on the reports I read, the meals being served today seem fairly similar to those that were served at the opening. One could argue that the food is good enough that even these tweaks are worth going back for. You might have to be a Chang acolyte to agree.

I don't see that I have to be a Chang acolyte to agree. The same thing goes on all the time at other restaurants, Hearth being a prime example. The changes are one of scale. I could be way off base but I suspect the difference with Ko is that they're likely more micro. [Nathan can confirm if you like.]

One could argue that the food is good enough that even these tweaks are worth going back for. You might have to be a Chang acolyte to agree.

I don't see that I have to be a Chang acolyte to agree. The same thing goes on all the time at other restaurants, Hearth being a prime example. The changes are one of scale. I could be way off base but I suspect the difference with Ko is that they're likely more micro. [Nathan can confirm if you like.]

The huge difference at Hearth is that you can order à la carte. The current Hearth menu shows 10 appetizers and 9 entrées. You could eat there once a week for two months and never have the same thing twice. At Ko, you're getting "micro tweaks" of a menu that hasn't changed all that much. (I'm ignoring the fact that one probably can't get into Ko once a week, making the whole discussion somewhat academic.)

In my two meals, I think only the muffin, mushroom pasta and foie were repeated. (I may be forgetting something.) I could hear them refer to an alternate menu. That said, if like the Devi tasting menu, the offerings don't change, it may not be worth another trip. However, I think that the value here for $85 is astounding,* and I wouldn't mind having either of the menus in the near future. Hell, when I get Chinese food delivery, it's pretty much down to two or three choices.

As BB mentioned, there is a good amount of food. I wasn't stuffed, but not hungry at all. And, unlike French Laundry, I felt like every portion was respectable, and I didn't feel like Ko filled you up on little cookies at the end.

Comparing the menus at Ko and Ssambar isn't really fair because the two restaurants are very different. Is there another restaurant that only offers a tasting menu, without options or substitutions?

One could argue that the food is good enough that even these tweaks are worth going back for. You might have to be a Chang acolyte to agree.

The huge difference at Hearth is that you can order à la carte. The current Hearth menu shows 10 appetizers and 9 entrées. You could eat there once a week for two months and never have the same thing twice. At Ko, you're getting "micro tweaks" of a menu that hasn't changed all that much. (I'm ignoring the fact that one probably can't get into Ko once a week, making the whole discussion somewhat academic.)

I'm not thinking of Hearth a la carte but rather the tasting menu.

I almost never order a la carte these days. ;)

Comparing the menus at Ko and Ssambar isn't really fair because the two restaurants are very different.

When a chef owns three restaurants in the same town, it's inevitable that they will be compared.

Is there another restaurant that only offers a tasting menu, without options or substitutions?

Masa, and I'm sure there are others.