Philadelphia recommendations

is philadelphia in the mid-atlantic?

we'll be there for for 3 days at the end of the month. i'm looking for recommendations for casual, inexpensive lunch in and around the convention center. and also any suggestions for good places for beer etc.. probably will not have any time for fancy dinners.

• Like 42
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is philadelphia in the mid-atlantic?   we'll be there for for 3 days at the end of the month. i'm looking for recommendations for casual, inexpensive lunch in and around the convention center. and a

Thanks for that.

Amada.a tapas bar downtown,was lovely1&1/2 years ago,and I think that the same chef has opened another place elsewhere in Philadelphia.I know it's above your listed $,...but my meal at Vetri was f

Reading Terminal Market has a bunch of food stalls. It's right next to the convention center.

Good suggestion.

There's an excellent version of the Philly roast pork sandwich at DiNico's booth. Served with Provolone, wilted greens, and a ladle of cooking broth into the roll. You eat it like a Frito Pie, leaning forward, so the mess ends up on the floor, not on your shoes or midriff, as the case may be.

There's a good scrapple booth, as well. If Mongo's never tried that regional specialty, it might be interesting.

Bassett's Ice Cream, too

Here's a link to a map of the market, with breakouts by type of products offered. There are prime meat and high quality fish purveyors, freshly made pasta and bread, vegetables, and a very expansive collection of spices in the rear of the space.

Merchant Map

Edited by Rail Paul

Reading Terminal Market has a bunch of food stalls. It's right next to the convention center.

you're not really in thailand, are you?

thanks for the rec, and thanks, paul for the more specific one. that sandwich sounds good, but i will be wearing a suit.

porkwah, we now have an excellent dim sum place in denver.

lunch today was a gigantic hoagy at carmen's famous something or the other in the terminal market. lunch tomorrow will be at the place paul recommends--was too rushed today to even look for it today.

dinner tonight was decent greek food at a place called lourdas (?) near bryn mawr (our friends live in haverton).

There's an excellent version of the Philly roast pork sandwich at DiNico's booth. Served with Provolone, wilted greens, and a ladle of cooking broth into the roll. You eat it like a Frito Pie, leaning forward, so the mess ends up on the floor, not on your shoes or midriff, as the case may be.

Sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. Dinic's, not Dinico's. It is towards the back of the terminal. The roast pork sandwiches are excellent but a lot of food. I usually have at it with a knife and fork. (I know.) wouldn't bother with scrapple but the amish people do a good chicken pot pie. The Down Home Diner is also very good, and I have come to appreciate that real diners are a rare thing outside of the northeast. The cannolis at Termini Brothers are a must for me when I am in town.

In Chinatown, I would say Hong Kong Golden Phoenix is our favorite for dim sum. It is on race down near 9th. Vietnam restaurant on 11th just north of Race is one of my favorite restaurants in any category. There is also this cool little cafe on 9th between arch and race. I will try to remember the name. You can pay a good $5 for a cup of coffee but somehow worth it. They also serve little salad/noodle/dim sum stuff, which is relatively speaking less expensive.

In the other direction, on 13th street, I know it's not really lunch, but you gotta try capogiro gelato. I think it is between sansom and chestnut.

Let me know if you are interested in stuff in other parts of town.

In Chinatown, I would say Hong Kong Golden Phoenix is our favorite for dim sum. It is on race down near 9th. Vietnam restaurant on 11th just north of Race is one of my favorite restaurants in any category. There is also this cool little cafe on 9th between arch and race. I will try to remember the name. You can pay a good $5 for a cup of coffee but somehow worth it. They also serve little salad/noodle/dim sum stuff, which is relatively speaking less expensive.

In the other direction, on 11th street, I know it's not really lunch, but you gotta try capogiro gelato. I think it is between sansom and chestnut.

Let me know if you are interested in stuff in other parts of town.

can you recommend a place in chinatown for good sichuan food?

There weren't any good ones when I was living there, but now that's about 4 years ago. ;)

City Paper seem to like

Szechuan Tasty House

902 Arch St.

215-925-2839

Chinese, Chinatown/Loft District

Chef Zeng Mi Chen whips up authentic Szechuan cuisine that is mostly uncommon in the Philadelphia area. Try the dumplings appetizer, served vegetarian-style with onions and seaweed, or with pork with scallions. Other musts: the ma po tofu, eggplant puffs and sweet tempura bananas.

we now have an excellent dim sum place in denver.

Name, please.

super star asian. see the "dim sum in denver" thread in the colorado forum for details.

thanks, behemoth. might have a review of szechuan tasty house for you tonight.

yeungling lager sucks.