Philadelphia recommendations

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is philadelphia in the mid-atlantic?   we'll be there for for 3 days at the end of the month. i'm looking for recommendations for casual, inexpensive lunch in and around the convention center. and a

Thanks for that.

Amada.a tapas bar downtown,was lovely1&1/2 years ago,and I think that the same chef has opened another place elsewhere in Philadelphia.I know it's above your listed $,...but my meal at Vetri was f

You should hire you daughter for all your photos. Too bad she's a little too old for the Please Touch Museum. My toddler still talks about it, it's insane how much of an impression it made. Worth a trip for anybody with kids between two and six.

You should hire you daughter for all your photos. Too bad she's a little too old for the Please Touch Museum. My toddler still talks about it, it's insane how much of an impression it made. Worth a trip for anybody with kids between two and six.

The Mutter Museum is fun for older kids, if one has a slightly ghoulish sensibility.

Don't they give you the cookies for free with the bill? Or did they stop that?

I apologize. Yes, they did indeed. Since I ate mine some hours later, I forgot.

Philippa wasn't expecting to take all the photos, but I left my camera battery in the charger. Lunchtime light at this deli was easy; you'll see more of the usual murk when it comes to dinner at Sbraga.

The Mutter Museum is fun for older kids, if one has a slightly ghoulish sensibility.
Have you ever stopped to read the causes of death on the skulls cabinet tags? Each one could be a novel. I love that place but I'm not sure I could deal with some parts now that I have kids.

What NYC restaurant in the 4th St. Deli an offshoot of? (A genuine question.)

No NYC restaurant; the original is at 4th and Bainbridge, in Philadelphia.

The sandwiches are good quality, but I don't love that style of gigantic portions, even if I plan on taking half home. On the other hand, when I was regularly taking transatlantic flights, I would eat half of a pastrami sandwich on the plane and sleep like a baby.

I don't know the full history of the deli, but I can confirm it's not an offshoot of any nyc deli. The original location at 4th & Bainbridge was a Jewish neighborhood back in the day. The guy that bakes the cookies used to own the place (I'm not sure if he's the original owner or not), but he sold it maybe 7-8 years ago and now he just sells cookies. When he owned the deli, it kinda sucked. The guy that bought it (who I believe has run successful delis in nyc) turned it around. I think he sold it, but he may be running it again.