Philadelphia recommendations

Osteria is very, very good.

Matyson, a BYO, is better and less expensive.

Both were recommended to me by the owner of 32 East in Delray who comes from Philly.

By the way, the pizza in Redding Market was quite good, and the pretzels by the Pa Dutch girls was the best ever.

• Like 1
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is philadelphia in the mid-atlantic?   we'll be there for for 3 days at the end of the month. i'm looking for recommendations for casual, inexpensive lunch in and around the convention center. and a

Thanks for that.

Amada.a tapas bar downtown,was lovely1&1/2 years ago,and I think that the same chef has opened another place elsewhere in Philadelphia.I know it's above your listed $,...but my meal at Vetri was f

just in time for my visit :)

The Quarter, Chef Michael Solomonov’s exploration of modern Middle Eastern cuisine at Zahav will begin dinner service every Thursday, starting on June 26th. There will be two different six-course menus: a Chef’s Tasting and a Vegetable Tasting.

Highlights include Sweetbreads with crispy chicken skin and tehina and Eggplant “Al Ha’esh” with sesame and almond puree. The cost is $65 per person, $100 with wine pairings and seating is limited (link)

just in time for my visit :)

The Quarter, Chef Michael Solomonov’s exploration of modern Middle Eastern cuisine at Zahav will begin dinner service every Thursday, starting on June 26th. There will be two different six-course menus: a Chef’s Tasting and a Vegetable Tasting.

Highlights include Sweetbreads with crispy chicken skin and tehina and Eggplant “Al Ha’esh” with sesame and almond puree. The cost is $65 per person, $100 with wine pairings and seating is limited (link)

Alrighty folks, this is timely indeed.

I'm headed to Philly in a few and I'll be there four nights and four days.

Vetri is a must, and I may do that twice (unless people here think it's not worth it).

I've run through a list of restaurants and have whittled it down to:

Dinners at: Zahav, Maytson, Ansill, Tinto, Osteria Vetri, OR Amada (two, maybe three of these, depending on whether I do Vetri twice).

Lunches: Di Nic's, Tinto, Amada, OR Osteria Vetri (three of these)

Any thoughts?

Places I've ruled out: Susana Foo's (been there done that), Le Bec Fin (same, no need to return), Lacroix @ Rittenhouse, Cochon (seems way too heavy for summer dining), James (rocky reports), just to name a few.

Of course, Capogiro is a required stop after EACH meal. And, if you think I'm kidding on that, you don't know my obsession over good gelato, which I know Capogiro has. Last time I was in Philly, I think I visited enough times to have tasted everything in their case, over a four day period.

BTW, what is "Quarter at" the Zahav? Is that another restaurant that's only open on Thursday? Or, is that the name of a special "deal" that is offered on Thursday nights?

Also, as a first timer, is Zahav best experienced a la carte, or "at The Quarter." I love Israeli/N African cuisine, and I can't imagine going to Zahav and NOT ordering the pastilla.

I am going to be in Philadelphia this weekend for a business conference. Just bumping this thread back up for any more recent recommendations. I am staying downtown at Loews. Would appreciate any tips on good spots to eat and drink within walking distance.

Thanks.

BTW, what is "Quarter at" the Zahav? Is that another restaurant that's only open on Thursday? Or, is that the name of a special "deal" that is offered on Thursday nights?

Also, as a first timer, is Zahav best experienced a la carte, or "at The Quarter." I love Israeli/N African cuisine, and I can't imagine going to Zahav and NOT ordering the pastilla.

You might want to call/email the restaurant - from my experience they're very friendly and eager to help.

The Quarter is a separate dining room, where on Thurs they serve a chef tasting menu.

We were also first timers, chose the Quarter vs the regular dining room as the Chef Menu read more interesting, but i'm really meaning to come back for a la carte in the near future...

• 7 months later...

Osteria is indeed very good; I don't think you could go wrong there.

How new is new? You might want to check out one of the Jose Garces joints. Tinto (Basque) is very good. I haven't been to Distrito (Mexican) but have heard only great things about it. Chifa (Peruvian-Chinese) is brand spanking new (opened last week) and I haven't heard any buzz. Tinto is definitely open for lunch; I'm not sure about the other two.

I've had a couple of good meals at Kanella (Cypriot), and they are open for lunch. It's pretty casual. I ate at Zahav once and enjoyed it, but found it overpriced. Cochon isn't bad at all. APO for cocktails, if that's your bag. Xochitl is very good upscale Mexican. Pub & Kitchen is doing great things, gastropub-wise. Marigold's new chef is supposed to be quite talented; I haven't yet tried her cookimg but am going this weekend.

There are also a couple of new places in Chinatown that are worth trying: Dim Sum Garden (which looks like a bus terminal) for soup dumplings and noodles, and Ken's Seafood (all kinds of good stuff, as long as you get Ken's advice when ordering.)

That's all I can think of now. Hope it helped.

I am already feeling a little silly about booking a big Italian meal in the US, but I was curious to see how Vetri compares to the upscale Italians in Munich (several of which have had Michelin stars here and there.)

We ate at Xochitl last time were were in Philly -- I really enjoyed it, and it also persuaded a German friend who was with us that Mexican food is worth paying attention to.

Pub and Kitchen sounds interesting, will definitely look into that one.

Marigold diner is close to my parent's house, but I've never been -- do they do lunch? They always seem so...closed.

Chinese is a maybe, A will be in Shanghai the week after and we'll both be in Beijing this summer.

I forgot about Tinto, and Mexican recs are always welcome so that definitely helps. Thanks!

I went to Vetri and did not like my meal.. There are others who loved it... I felt it to be expensive for what it was.. However, Philadining has posted some really wonderful photos of Vetri's more casual restaurant..

They seem to be a little more free of the incredible pressure of being ranked one of America's best.. I would go there instead..

For a really wonderful sandwich that I am still thinking about, I would go to Sarcones.. The bread is wonderful...

I don't know what public opinion is but, Morimoto has a special place in my heart.. I have yet to go to Morimoto in Manhattan but, have to the on in Philly close to 10 times..

Capogiro is a must..

I forgot about Tinto, and Mexican recs are always welcome so that definitely helps. Thanks!

I thought you might want Mexican... I have this odd suspicion that it's hard to get in Germany. Definitely try Distrito, then: I'm guessing they are open for lunch. Also, around the corner from Xochitl is Las Bugambilias. It's a little more traditional and a little more casual. Different, but worth trying.

I doubt Marigold is worth trying- my impulse in suggesting it is because the new chef is Southern, and her food shows that influence. Again, not something you're likely to be eating a lot of in Munich.

Sarcone's and Capogiro are awesome, obviously. But you knew that already...

I went to Vetri and did not like my meal.. There are others who loved it... I felt it to be expensive for what it was.. However, Philadining has posted some really wonderful photos of Vetri's more casual restaurant..

I loved the food at Vetri Ristorante, but I cannot disagree with Daniel's sentiments regarding the value. I wish I had made time for Osteria instead of going to Vetri twice on my last trip.

Capogiro is a must..

Yes, it is.

Chinese is a maybe, A will be in Shanghai the week after and we'll both be in Beijing this summer.

If you're wanting authentic Chinese and you're headed to China anyway, why bother in Philly?

I forgot about Tinto...

In my opinion, forget about Tinto. I liked Amada MUCH better. Now, I will say that I've only been to each once. I know many on this forum would disagree, and they're more frequent visitors of both.

I would also highly HIGHLY recommend a few places in the Reading Terminal market - namely DiNic's (roast pork sandwich with sharp Provolone and greens) and Salumeria (Italian hoagie).

You might find this helpful.

If you're wanting authentic Chinese and you're headed to China anyway, why bother in Philly?

Because the last time I had dim sum was 7 months ago, in Sydney. :(

I lived in Philly through 2003 so I'm familiar with the Dinics, the Sarcone's etc. To be honest, I don't miss them as much as I thought I would. Capogiro is definitely on the program though, as is La Colombe.