treadmills--recommendations?

I think it may have never been used and it was free, top of the line and fully assembled.

I'd like one of those, please.

you'll have to wait for her next marriage, i can guarantee with certainty it will end pretty quickly :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be a race to see which ends more quickly--her marriage or RG's exercise regimen.

I'm just sayin'. :rolleyes:

if RG can hang out for while, it won't be long before my free treadmill is being used as a clothes rack/laundry hamper. he need only cover the freight cross-country

Slap some Patrician Silverplate onto it and he'll snap it up! :lol:

I think it may have never been used and it was free, top of the line and fully assembled.

I'd like one of those, please.

you'll have to wait for her next marriage, i can guarantee with certainty it will end pretty quickly :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be a race to see which ends more quickly--her marriage or RG's exercise regimen.

I'm just sayin'. :rolleyes:

if RG can hang out for while, it won't be long before my free treadmill is being used as a clothes rack/laundry hamper. he need only cover the freight cross-country

Slap some Patrician Silverplate onto it and he'll snap it up! :lol:

good to know

My sister and bro-in-law recently purchased an elliptical trainer and they did a lot of research. I asked him why they made the choice they did:

"I was looking at the Keyes center drive trainer. I liked that it was heavy,

solid, and had a compact form factor. I tried it in the store and liked it.

It was rock solid and smooth with a lot of sophisticated features (like

adjustable stride), etc. that are only available on the much more expensive

machines. When I went back three weeks later to make my purchase one of the

two floor models was gone (the one I tried) with the other steeply

discounted. I tried that one and found it not to be smooth. It turns out

they decided not to carry it because 60% had to be returned because they

wouldn't fit through most residential doors. It may have been the best

model for the money, but I didn't want something that may be discontinued

after a short time.

I decided on Life Fitness because the Precor is way too expensive for what

you get and I don't think it is worth the extra money. Also the Precor has

a big distance between the pedals, so I always feel like I am moving side to

side when working out o that machine. We don't normally walk or run with

our feet so far apart (I liked the Keyes machine because the pedals are only

1.5" apart.)

I am completely satisfied with the product. It is stable, solid, feature

packed for the money, and I think will last a long time. The warranty is

fine and I have no doubt about getting parts and service."

He's used it almost every day since they got it, and it's been a couple of months now.

My sister and bro-in-law recently purchased an elliptical trainer and they did a lot of research. I asked him why they made the choice they did:

"I was looking at the Keyes center drive trainer. I liked that it was heavy,

solid, and had a compact form factor. I tried it in the store and liked it.

It was rock solid and smooth with a lot of sophisticated features (like

adjustable stride), etc. that are only available on the much more expensive

machines. When I went back three weeks later to make my purchase one of the

two floor models was gone (the one I tried) with the other steeply

discounted. I tried that one and found it not to be smooth. It turns out

they decided not to carry it because 60% had to be returned because they

wouldn't fit through most residential doors. It may have been the best

model for the money, but I didn't want something that may be discontinued

after a short time.

I decided on Life Fitness because the Precor is way too expensive for what

you get and I don't think it is worth the extra money. Also the Precor has

a big distance between the pedals, so I always feel like I am moving side to

side when working out o that machine. We don't normally walk or run with

our feet so far apart (I liked the Keyes machine because the pedals are only

1.5" apart.)

I am completely satisfied with the product. It is stable, solid, feature

packed for the money, and I think will last a long time. The warranty is

fine and I have no doubt about getting parts and service."

He's used it almost every day since they got it, and it's been a couple of months now.

Does he know you published this?

I love my Precor--and do find it worth the difference. As someone who has purchased different types of equipment over the years, and spent a good amount of time in the gym, and with trainers and athletes, I think the thing to do with exercise equipment is to head to a store dressed as you would for working out and use the different machines. And I don't mean for a minute or two (of course, you may hate a particular machine right off the bat--listen to your body), but, I'd suggest 10 minutes. It all comes down to personal preference. After you find something you like, ask the sales person about durability, whether they have lots of returns/repairs with the model you are interested in. Then go to a competitor's store, and ask the same questions. And, check fitness websites online and read what the posters have to say about different models. It's worth the time invested to keep from ending up with a clothes rack rather than a piece of exercise equipment that you actually use.

I spoke with my fitness trainer this morning regarding the various brands out there and what might be best for home use. He recommended Life Fitness, who also make most of the equipment found in professional gyms these days. They have a residential section (within that link), and although they aren't cheap, I think they'll be durable enough to last, yet not go through my floor. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Nordic Track has some good sales right now. Rachel took the elliptical with her, it's almost five years old without any problems and daily use. So I'm thinking about getting one of those and their strength training thing. If I use it, then it's worth it but that's the big question isn't it? There's no way I'd go to a gym. The close ones are expensive so the machines would pay for themselves in a year, year and a half. Decisions, decisions. . . . .

I spoke with my fitness trainer this morning regarding the various brands out there and what might be best for home use. He recommended Life Fitness, who also make most of the equipment found in professional gyms these days. They have a residential section (within that link), and although they aren't cheap, I think they'll be durable enough to last, yet not go through my floor. :rolleyes:

Be wary of any durability claims. After trying out different treadmills in hotel gyms, we settled on a residential equivalent of the Life treadmills that are in many W Hotels. What helped to nudge us in this direction is that the place where we had purchased a Schwinn exercise bike a few years earlier that we were happy with had changed to exclusively selling Life Fitness. We spent several thousand dollars and have started having problems with the two control units (sometimes the manual speed controls don't work, it will only ask you to enter a total exercise time every other time you set the controls, etc.). It started periodically throwing up this fun error "Notify Maintenance. Motor Controller Error." Since we've now had it just over a year, I suppose we're going to have to haggle with them to get it fixed without spending lots of money. One would expect an expensive unit like this would last longer than a year without problems, particularly since the cheap ProTrim that a friend gave me before that lasted for two years before being replaced by the Life treadmill.