• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

i bought an e-reader, the small new sony, yesterday. it will be fine for its intended use, which involves keeping me busy on the subway. but what i don't understand is where i'm supposed to buy readers for the other letters in the alphabet.

Do not buy La Disparition.

Why is an electronic device more convenient for subway reading? Is it just a question of people wanting to read large and/or heavy books? I've not yet run out pocket-sized books worth reading.

it's much more convenient to hold with one hand at reading distance while standing. also, i read a lot of downloaded stuff.

Why is an electronic device more convenient for subway reading? Is it just a question of people wanting to read large and/or heavy books? I've not yet run out pocket-sized books worth reading.

it's much more convenient to hold with one hand at reading distance while standing. also, i read a lot of downloaded stuff.

and he likes getting mugged

That's how I hold books. :huh:

i'm liking the sony e-reader (the 300) for casual reading -- quite a bit.

in many ways it's a better experience than reading a book as the screen is completely flat. it's not as high contrast as paper, which can be a problem in low light, but i rarely read in low light.

unlike the kindle i can download any pdfs to it -- so all the google / gutenberg books are downloadable. i have been reading thoreau's maine travel journals, which are quite engaging. free from google books.

in theory i should be able to connect it to my RSS feeds though there are some software hiccups at the moment.

very nice to be able to carry around a few books at a time as well.

i read through a pop science book on parenting (nurtureshock, by po bronson) in an attempt to see how reading a book that i'd otherwise skim would go. pretty well, though not perfect -- skimming is fine, but when i find i've missed something i need to go back for, it's nearly impossible. this book comes with a large and interesting bibliography -- the bibliography is fairly useless on the sony as it's impossible to find anything in alphabetical order across 100 pages. good thing i can read it on my computer as well (i don't think the kindle allows this). the lack of a search function is annoying.

it works well for subway reading as well.

i'm liking the sony e-reader (the 300) for casual reading -- quite a bit. unlike the kindle i can download any pdfs to it -- so all the google / gutenberg books are downloadable.

P, The cognoscenti really like the Sony eReaders.

Here's a good site that provides sources for the Some of the Best eBook Sites . There are other sites as well for the Sony eReader.

The NY Times has an article about stolen Kindles, and Amazon's willingness to re=register them over the original owner's complaints.

Apparently, they will only deactivate a device when confronted with a court order. If you lose a device, or it is stolen, Amazon will happily reregister it to a new owner and collect new revenues from that person.

The practice isn't unique to Amazon. Sirius XM continues to reregister stolen radios, etc. Neither has any registration question to inquire about provenance.

Hot kindles

That's how I hold books. :huh:

With the iPhone reader, I can read with one hand, leaving the other free to hold on to a rail, shopping bag, et cetera. I'm not able to do that with a paper book. When you turn the phone off, it automatically saves your place; you don't have to deal with a bookmark. And you don't have to schlep a physical book.

None of those things are revolutionary, and I still have plenty of reservations about Amazon, but there are enough advantages that I'm going to keep using the Kindle app (and Stanza, for reading books from Project Gutenberg) in addition to reading paper books.