• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

Mounting one star reviews on Amazon, largely about:

- Amazon recalling books that have been paid for and not making back issues of magazines available to suckers who bought Kindle 2 after paying for subscriptions on Kindle 1. (yes, some people already paid Amazon over $600 to read books at a higher price than they would pay for the physical copy :blink: )

- When dropped, the kindle breaks.

• 5 weeks later...
So I was given one of these for my birthday yesterday. Just downloaded some .doc files I want to read - only to discover that AMZN's prices for data are absurd. .45 to send a 2.5 meg file? Really. Fucked up.

I can't figure that out. They don't charge for MP3 downloads and they're much larger.

So I was given one of these for my birthday yesterday. Just downloaded some .doc files I want to read - only to discover that AMZN's prices for data are absurd. .45 to send a 2.5 meg file? Really. Fucked up.

I can't figure that out. They don't charge for MP3 downloads and they're much larger.

that's why i got the sony e-reader -- it's wireless-less, just use a USB cord from the computer

that's why i got the sony e-reader -- it's wireless-less, just use a USB cord from the computer

P, Smart move!!

You will probably benefit from visiting the Mobile Reader Forums .

Special attention to the "Freebie" Board and the Sony Board. Also, you will probably want to install the Calibre package which is very handy with the Sony Reader (there is a Calibre Board there also).

P, Smart move!!

You will probably benefit from visiting the Mobile Reader Forums .

Special attention to the "Freebie" Board and the Sony Board. Also, you will probably want to install the Calibre package which is very handy with the Sony Reader (there is a Calibre Board there also).

yes, i use calibre.

i'm basically happy with the sony as a basic unit. it's nice and small and pretty functional, and it's easy to read.

i figure these will be better in a couple years & so i got the cheapest thing i thought i would use.

it's not changing much how i consume information, not the way the ipod changed that world.

um, because they get a piece of that action?

ding ding ding ding ding. But here's the thing - its short sighted. I mean I have the thing - at some point even the biggest cheapskate is going to want to download copywritten materials you can make the vig on. Why antagonize me by charging me so much.

I also naively thought AMZN would automatically give me access to books I have bought from them in hardcopy form that are on Kindle - I mean marginal cost of that stuff is zero- why not? Alas no.

ding ding ding ding ding. But here's the thing - its short sighted. I mean I have the thing - at some point even the biggest cheapskate is going to want to download copywritten materials you can make the vig on. Why antagonize me by charging me so much.

I also naively thought AMZN would automatically give me access to books I have bought from them in hardcopy form that are on Kindle - I mean marginal cost of that stuff is zero- why not? Alas no.

barnes & noble are not giving e-access to hardcopy books already purchased either. if any of them did that, i'd buy one today. i need to have a hardcopy and it'd be nice to have an e-copy to read while commuting or on vacation but i don't think i could be happy with just an e-copy. i need the option to touch the actual book