So I was given one of these for my birthday yesterday. Just downloaded some .doc files I want to read - only to discover that AMZN's prices for data are absurd. .45 to send a 2.5 meg file? Really. Fucked up.

I can't figure that out. They don't charge for MP3 downloads and they're much larger.

um, because they get a piece of that action?

ding ding ding ding ding. But here's the thing - its short sighted. I mean I have the thing - at some point even the biggest cheapskate is going to want to download copywritten materials you can make the vig on. Why antagonize me by charging me so much.

I also naively thought AMZN would automatically give me access to books I have bought from them in hardcopy form that are on Kindle - I mean marginal cost of that stuff is zero- why not? Alas no.

barnes & noble are not giving e-access to hardcopy books already purchased either. if any of them did that, i'd buy one today. i need to have a hardcopy and it'd be nice to have an e-copy to read while commuting or on vacation but i don't think i could be happy with just an e-copy. i need the option to touch the actual book

100% agree. I love my books

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

that's why i got the sony e-reader -- it's wireless-less, just use a USB cord from the computer

P, Smart move!!

You will probably benefit from visiting the Mobile Reader Forums .

Special attention to the "Freebie" Board and the Sony Board. Also, you will probably want to install the Calibre package which is very handy with the Sony Reader (there is a Calibre Board there also).

Thanks, Peter, for suggesting that forum. I've had a Sony Reader for almost two years I think, and haven't explored beyond Sony's own library software and store, neither of which I think are great (unlike the Reader which I do love). What does Calibre do that the Sony library software doesn't?

Thanks, Peter, for suggesting that forum. I've had a Sony Reader for almost two years I think, and haven't explored beyond Sony's own library software and store, neither of which I think are great (unlike the Reader which I do love). What does Calibre do that the Sony library software doesn't?

J, You're welcome!

I've not had any problems with the Sony eLibrary software and store.

There are numerous sites besides Sony where you can get ebooks. Here are 3 good ones for getting free ebooks...

http://finding-free-ebooks.blogspot.com/

http://manybooks.net/

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

Calibre will (among other valuable chores) download ebooks for you from most anywhere and send them to your Reader. You will need Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) for DRM ebooks; otherwise, Calibre is your answer for non-Sony sites.

<snip>i don't think i could be happy with just an e-copy. i need the option to touch the actual book...

I have thought the same thoughts since the first Kindle appeared.

Then in October the Kindle II appeared, which can be used internationally to download books directly from wherever in cyberspace they hover to a Kindle in Mexico or anywhere in the world, rather than taking a detour through a computer and THEN to the Kindle. With the first Kindle, there was a $1.99USD charge for downloading to Mexico. With the new international Kindle, there is not.

The other day my beloved surprised me with a Kindle II all my own. And uh oh...I like it. :ph43r:

It's definitely not a book, with a book's heft and fragrance and comfort of a lifetime, but it's readable material in a format that I can live with. As others on this thread have said, it's handy-dandy for travel: one slim lightweight plastic thingy and its charging cord instead of four or five heavy volumes. I'm going to Mexico City on Thursday with two new books on the Kindle instead of in my carry-on!

For me, the best part is that I no longer have to depend on friends to bring English-language books to me from the USA. Shipping anything from the States to Mexico is iffy at best, and this Kindle solves that problem perfectly. The newest Barbara Kingsolver: literally one minute from the time I ordered it, it was available for reading on my Kindle and no one was inconvenienced in the process. $11 USD for a readable-format book? Not too bad. I think the worst will be restraining my book ordering so as not to break the bank.

I'll probably post more about it once I've had it for a while. For now, it's great.

What I would have given, in the 60's, to have had this available. We moved to different countries and I never had access to books in English. The bookstores that carried books in English charged double or triple the recommended price on the cover. As a teen, I never had enough to read and had to ration myself to numbers of chapters every day!

This is amazing.

What I would have given, in the 60's, to have had this available. We moved to different countries and I never had access to books in English. The bookstores that carried books in English charged double or triple the recommended price on the cover. As a teen, I never had enough to read and had to ration myself to numbers of chapters every day!

This is amazing.

It's the same in Mexico, even today.

Just think, F52...you can carry your Kindle to Colombia without worrying about its weight. While you're there, if you run out of something to read, you just download another book. Bingo, in less than a minute, it's ready to crack open--well, figuratively speaking. And you can save room in your luggage to bring back goodies from your trip.

<snip>i don't think i could be happy with just an e-copy. i need the option to touch the actual book...

Then in October the Kindle II appeared, which can be used internationally to download books directly from wherever in cyberspace they hover to a Kindle in Mexico or anywhere in the world, rather than taking a detour through a computer and THEN to the Kindle. With the first Kindle, there was a $1.99USD charge for downloading to Mexico. With the new international Kindle, there is not.

The other day my beloved surprised me with a Kindle II all my own. And uh oh...I like it. :ph43r:

It's definitely not a book, with a book's heft and fragrance and comfort of a lifetime, but it's readable material in a format that I can live with. As others on this thread have said, it's handy-dandy for travel: one slim lightweight plastic thingy and its charging cord instead of four or five heavy volumes. I'm going to Mexico City on Thursday with two new books on the Kindle instead of in my carry-on!

For me, the best part is that I no longer have to depend on friends to bring English-language books to me from the USA. Shipping anything from the States to Mexico is iffy at best, and this Kindle solves that problem perfectly. The newest Barbara Kingsolver: literally one minute from the time I ordered it, it was available for reading on my Kindle and no one was inconvenienced in the process. $11 USD for a readable-format book? Not too bad. I think the worst will be restraining my book ordering so as not to break the bank.

I'll probably post more about it once I've had it for a while. For now, it's great.

would your beloved buy one for me, please?

This is amazing.

It's like that with French and Korean books, sometimes the mark-ups are even higher. I found a copy of a Le Petit Nicolas book at Barnes and Noble, the price was $17.00. Sometimes I get good deals on used French novels through Powells.

Kids needed a Korean-English/English-Korean dictionary. At a Korean store in L.A. the price was $56. My mother brought one back from Korea, it cost 13,000 WON, a little over $11.

I understand the cost of importing and retail mark-ups, etc.. But from $11 to $56?!

I asked her. She's laughing. I think that's a no...sorry, splinks.

I asked her. She's laughing. I think that's a no...sorry, splinks.

hey, i had to take a shot.

So far, the hotels we have stayed at in Bogota all have "lending libraries", mostly in English but also in German and Italian, reflecting the nationalities of the adopting parents. You take a book and leave a book: most of these hotels have had dozens of paperbacks - mostly mysteries - left by parents who have had to stay for 3 or 4 weeks while waiting for their adoptions to go through.

About the Global Kindle, what happens if you move from the country of purchase to a different country? Can you transfer the location of your Kindle so you won't have to pay "international" download fees? I checked the website, but couldn't find the info, just stuff about roaming charges.