• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

• 2 weeks later...
Tempting. The Kindle, I mean.

Wait about 9 months if you can, I can't say much but there's good stuff (and very cheap) in the pipeline.

Kindle now $189. By November, at least one of the major vendors (probably two of them) will offer a full refund of the entry-level device cost in the form of book buying credit or magazine/newspaper subscription cost.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i lost mine in a bag that was stolen (from a playground of course).

i'm not even considering getting another.

Now only $139. I'm still with my prediction of an entry level model free (after book credit) for the holidays.

Can books stare at you from your Kindle?

Not really. Books on shelves are present whenever you walk in the room.

I am certainly in the market for a free Kindle. Looks like I either need to be patient or spend more time hanging around playgrounds. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Sony's newest models (350 and 650) are due out in the next couple of weeks.

Neither of which have built in wireless or integrated store capabilities, and require tethering to a PC or Mac for book uploads. And they won't be price competitive with Kindle or Nook at all.

Neither of which have built in wireless or integrated store capabilities, and require tethering to a PC or Mac for book uploads. And they won't be price competitive with Kindle or Nook at all.

Jason, Actually, rumor has it that the 650 might not require tethering; however, this is an ultra-minor or non-issue with many people, including me. Not that I am in the market to replace my 505.

Rumor has it also that Sony's price may in fact be quite competitive.

Have you tried the Sony 505? Many folks who have it and the Kindle much prefer the Sony.

Jason, Actually, rumor has it that the 650 might not require tethering; however, this is an ultra-minor or non-issue with many people, including me. Not that I am in the market to replace my 505.

Rumor has it also that Sony's price may in fact be quite competitive.

Have you tried the Sony 505? Many folks who have it and the Kindle much prefer the Sony.

I can't speak to rumors. I can only speak to what others who have recently been briefed on the devices and have seen them have told me.

I have a 505 and a 700. Still, I'm considering either a Nook or a new Kindle. My biggest issue with the Kindle is that it doesn't support EPUB, I've discussed this at length in my column recently:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/epub-the-final-barrier-for-kindle-adoption/13804

And they won't be price competitive with Kindle or Nook at all.

Jason, I neglected to mention that the Sony pricing probably only needs to be in the ballpark given the perceived (by many) higher quality of the Sony ereaders and related features.