I used the Kindle everywhere in Europe last summer. By "using" , I mean I downloaded books in three countries. You have to register where you are, though. That was a matter of going to Amazon and "telling" them which country I was in and what the phone number was there, or email address or something. I can't remember how it worked exactly, but it was easy.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

A scathing review of the Kindle Fire by a user. I have no idea of the fellow's credibility, but it seems he definitely doesn't like the reader...

That seems to describe the typical user experience for an android based tablet.

I used the Kindle everywhere in Europe last summer. By "using" , I mean I downloaded books in three countries. You have to register where you are, though. That was a matter of going to Amazon and "telling" them which country I was in and what the phone number was there, or email address or something. I can't remember how it worked exactly, but it was easy.

Thanks! I'll have to teach her how to make the switch before she leaves again.

• 3 weeks later...

Amazon Fire "the edsel of tablets"?

All the individual grievances — recorded on Amazon’s own Web site — received a measure of confirmation last week when Jakob Nielsen, a usability expert, denounced the Fire, saying it offered “a disappointingly poor” experience. For users whose fingers are not as slender as toothpicks, he warned, the screen could be particularly frustrating to manipulate.

“I feel the Fire is going to be a failure,” Mr. Nielsen, of the Nielsen Norman Group, a Silicon Valley consulting firm, said in an interview. “I can’t recommend buying it.”

All this would be enough to send some products directly to the graveyard where the Apple Newton, the Edsel, New Coke and McDonald’s Arch Deluxe languish. But as a range of retailers and tech firms could tell you, it would be foolish to underestimate Amazon.

I guess he wasn't invited to the blogger event rolleyes.gif

Who knows. But you can't call anything a failure if its already sold that many units. That's more than any single Android tablet has sold to date and it's only been, what, a month or two since it went onsale?

Who knows. But you can't call anything a failure if its already sold that many units. That's more than any single Android tablet has sold to date and it's only been, what, a month or two since it went onsale?

I'm not sure units sold gets to define success. Particularly when they are losing money on each sale.

But it does seem way too early to declare it a failure.

Since they're losing a couple of bucks on each one of these before promotional considerations, even a modest RMA frequency coupled with weak content revenues can be a pretty big failure. That is, if people hate this enough then it's a failure even if they've sold a lot of them. (and regardless it can be a cultural/technological failure - the first time so many people get exposed to the anti-magic of android tablets...)

I'm not sure units sold gets to define success. Particularly when they are losing money on each sale.

But it does seem way too early to declare it a failure.

They knew going in they were not going to make money on the device, its a platform monetization machine more than anything else.

Sure, it's a risk, but a big one for Amazon? Not really.

I guess he wasn't invited to the blogger event rolleyes.gif

selling a lot is great but i define a success as something that works well, catching the public's imagination and also sells like gangbusters. if a billion people buy it and hate it and half return it, it's not a success

I'm a long time Kindle user. I love them all. That said, the FIre sucks for just above everything. I'm not a techie person, but to me, it is a classic case of a machine purposely made on the cheap that is designed to do a bunch of things "okay" but none of them really well. However, the user experience, especially if you have even passing experience with an IPad, leaves you feeling like it does a bunch of things poorly and nothing at even an "okay" level. Reading is not as a good as a regular kindle. Web browsing is not as fast as a 3 or 4G smart phone. Reading magazines is awkward because of the way they load and appear in the frame. One positive for the future is the linked relationship between the amazon cloud storage and teh device. And music purchased from amazon is playable on apple devices, because they don't embed it with the code that prohibits cross playing. But other than that, it just fall shorts on almost every area.

People ask us "How do you make money?

The answer? "Volume"