And you have to turn it off during take-off and landing.

Although I still prefer to buy real books, the reading experience on an iPad is so much easier.

I mean, John Waters said, "If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em!” But what if all your books are on your Kindle, and your Kindle is under a pile of stuff on the table? Tragedy may ensue.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

And you have to turn it off during take-off and landing.

Although I still prefer to buy real books, the reading experience on an iPad is so much easier.

I mean, John Waters said, "If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em!” But what if all your books are on your Kindle, and your Kindle is under a pile of stuff on the table? Tragedy may ensue.

But can you turn on your side in bed and still read it?

For a lot of people, this is nothing, but for me it was a big deal. I took a long trip this week--without any books or magazines. Okay, I did have the anniversary New Yorker. I relied completely on my Kindle, loading it with books before leaving, and loading it with newspaper and magazine articles (via readability.com) whenever I had WiFi.

I have to say, it worked out fine, although I was persistently conscious that a device can break/break down in a way that a book can't (leaving me, for example, to read US Air's inflight magazine for four hours).

The tactile experience is certainly worse (at least for those of us who grew up on paper books...I imagine this will change with time), and I still buy mostly paper books due to the fact that the pricing these days is usually the same or almost the same (and I have Amazon Prime)....but I can't place a value on how great it was to have a Kindle when deployed. I wouldn't have had any room for more than a couple paper books....and recreational activities tended to be somewhat lacking in availability and quality. Travel, especially longer term, makes great sense with an e-reader or tablet.

For a lot of people, this is nothing, but for me it was a big deal. I took a long trip this week--without any books or magazines. Okay, I did have the anniversary New Yorker. I relied completely on my Kindle, loading it with books before leaving, and loading it with newspaper and magazine articles (via readability.com) whenever I had WiFi.

I have to say, it worked out fine, although I was persistently conscious that a device can break/break down in a way that a book can't (leaving me, for example, to read US Air's inflight magazine for four hours).

The tactile experience is certainly worse (at least for those of us who grew up on paper books...I imagine this will change with time), and I still buy mostly paper books due to the fact that the pricing these days is usually the same or almost the same (and I have Amazon Prime)....but I can't place a value on how great it was to have a Kindle when deployed. I wouldn't have had any room for more than a couple paper books....and recreational activities tended to be somewhat lacking in availability and quality. Travel, especially longer term, makes great sense with an e-reader or tablet.

Right.

The sheer volume you can carry on a Kindle is remarkable. Don't know what the upper limit is, but I must have a few thousand pages on my Kindle currently.

My second generation Kindle has 2GB...with about 1 available for user content. The third generation had 4GB with 3 available. The fourth went back to 2 with the Touch having 4 while the PaperWhite has 2.

What does that mean? The 2GB models hold approx 1,500 books (or 450,000 pages), the 4GB models hold approx 3,500 books (or 1,050,000 pages).

I love my Kindle. It's the simplest, smallest one, without the keyboard, so it's lightweight and easy to carry in my bag. I very rarely use it at home, where books prevail, but for subway and other travel, it's perfect. To address my ambivalence about e-readers, I decided to use it mostly for 19th century literature. The Delphi editions of classics are well-formatted for the device and I've loaded the complete works of Dickens, Thackeray, Trollope, Scott, Austen, Thomas Hardy, Mark Twain, Tolstoy,George Eliot, Henry James, and Emily Dickinson and more. (I've read a lot of these already, but long enough ago that it's time to re-read.) I read Trollope's Palliser novels last year, all on the subway. I'm currently reading the very amusing Domestic Manners of Americans, by Fanny Trollope.

Thank you, Lippy. I just downloaded the free version of Domestic Manners of Americans.

I love my Kindle Fire. I can access my email which is really nice when we are traveling. It still feels luxurious to have so many books with me when I am far from home. Growing up abroad used to be excruciating for me in terms of having books in English available to me. I used to ration myself to a couple of chapters a day so that I wouldn't finish a book too quickly. I love having dozens of books right there, weighing nothing and mostly costing nothing as well.

We figured out that to access yahoo mail on the Fire HD, you have to use the app. Maybe you don't *have* to, but my mother had to since she couldn't log on to yahoo the regular way (she had been locked out and needed to enter one of those codes that would prove she wasn't a bot, but since she didn't have flash, she couldn't read the code).