I know lots of people with Treos, Blackberries, iPhones, iPods. I know some literate folks. But I don't know anybody with a Kindle. How many have actually been sold?

if you count the one that bezos gave oprah, nearly 1

Yeah, but she's got a book club.

I saw someone reading one on the subway. It's kind of wild looking - it's very flat, almost clip-board looking, although smaller.

ok, that's two

a guy was reading one next to me at the bar at hog island one day.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

I own a Kindle and I love it.

I read on my commute every morning and evening, so it's fantastic not having to lug around a book. Also, when I go on vacation I usually schlep 4 or 5 books with me (sometimes all hardcover), so not having to do that anymore is great. There's no eye-strain because of the technology behind the display, so it really is just like reading an actual book.

These probably aren't great reasons for everybody to buy a Kindle, but because of the amount of reading I do and the fact that a lot of it goes on outside of where I live, it's perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
But it will be delivered right to your home.

but then i couldn't afford the kindle. anyway, i thought you were supposed to be able to read the times on the kindle. why would i still need a hard copy? surely, not for the best buy and target inserts

I would buy one of these if it were $100. The $400 pricetag will really limit sales.

Lex, Except for someone who reads a lot, the savings on reading material will offset the initial cost fairly quickly and lead to savings in the long run.

For the record, I became disenchanted with the Kindle. I returned it for refund.

One of the Amazon.com pages stayed in the background and bled through whatever I wanted to read.

I called customer service and got someone I could not really understand...and she acknowledged she was NOT in the U.S.

She wanted to ship me another Kindle.

By then I had lost patience with the whole sequence.

I have returned the Kindle (and the cover I bought to go with it) for full refunds.

I would buy one of these if it were $100. The $400 pricetag will really limit sales.

Lex, Except for someone who reads a lot, the savings on reading material will offset the initial cost fairly quickly and lead to savings in the long run.

But don't you have to pay to get the reading material? To download it or something?

I wonder how that compares with the costs of a good used book store or book exchange...