For the record, I became disenchanted with the Kindle. I returned it for refund.

One of the Amazon.com pages stayed in the background and bled through whatever I wanted to read.

I called customer service and got someone I could not really understand...and she acknowledged she was NOT in the U.S.

She wanted to ship me another Kindle.

By then I had lost patience with the whole sequence.

I have returned the Kindle (and the cover I bought to go with it) for full refunds.

Sounds like you became disenchanted with that crazy person not in the US who wanted to send you a replacement for your bad Kindle more than the Kindle itself.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Product page.   Zdnet is dubious: "Is the Amazon Kindle going to be a monthly fee nightmare?"   Curious to see how this does.    

I'm pretty sure you can read blogs on the Kindle.

Amazon just unveiled Kindle Matchbook.* Amazon will search all of your past book purchases, and if a "match" exists, allow you to buy the Kindle book for $2.99 or less. At the moment, only 6 of my p

For the record, I became disenchanted with the Kindle. I returned it for refund.

One of the Amazon.com pages stayed in the background and bled through whatever I wanted to read.

I called customer service and got someone I could not really understand...and she acknowledged she was NOT in the U.S.

She wanted to ship me another Kindle.

By then I had lost patience with the whole sequence.

I have returned the Kindle (and the cover I bought to go with it) for full refunds.

Sounds like you became disenchanted with that crazy person not in the US who wanted to send you a replacement for your bad Kindle more than the Kindle itself.

This actually sounds to me like a pretty strong reason to be disenchanted with the Kindle itself. The rest just made it worse (at least, the not being able to understand). Doesn't really matter where she was, does it?

This actually sounds to me like a pretty strong reason to be disenchanted with the Kindle itself. The rest just made it worse (at least, the not being able to understand).

Thanks, Suzanne, your sentiments are like mine!

I was really looking forward to receiving this device even though it was probably overly expensive. Then to have this mysterious problem and no qualified help from customer service just ruined the experience for me. And, I'm not totally sure it was a unique problem...it seemed like a page was left on the screen during shipment and thus burned itself in permanently which could happen to a new one as well.

I wasn't willing to wait another period of time going through the returning/shipping sequence.

While a disappointment, it's kind of a relief as well (if that makes any sense!?!).

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one for a week now and i'm getting into it.. it's taken the place of the newspaper on my ride in to work, and I like that I can email myself documents to review on it, without having to drag hard copies of documents back and forth between the office and home. I'm thinking that it'll probably come in pretty handy for the two 18 hour plane rides coming up in July..

I can see Amazon doing a big push for this in the legal field when the larger size comes out. As it is, I'm already reading transcripts and cases on the smaller size..

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a Sony PRS 505 on the way now. The reviews on it are better so it should work out well for me.

I have now read several books with my Sony PRS 505 and cannot find anything to be critical of. It is every bit as good, in my view, as all the favorable reviews claim.

• 1 month later...
at $299 i am tempted...

P, If you're talking about the Sony PRS 505, I've been happy enough with mine that I just bought another to give as a gift.

You should be able to beat the $299 price considerably in various places, including amazon.com, bestbuy.com, etc. Costco has it at $269 and includes with it the A/C charger (a $30 value).

How important do people find the wireless download to be? I was going to buy a Kindle for a friend who's moving to Australia and will be traveling a lot around Asia, but apparently they can't get wireless downloads in Oz; only usb.

I've had one for a week now and i'm getting into it.. it's taken the place of the newspaper on my ride in to work, and I like that I can email myself documents to review on it, without having to drag hard copies of documents back and forth between the office and home. I'm thinking that it'll probably come in pretty handy for the two 18 hour plane rides coming up in July..

I can see Amazon doing a big push for this in the legal field when the larger size comes out. As it is, I'm already reading transcripts and cases on the smaller size..

this is interesting. what is the advantage of reading dep transcripts, etc. on a kindle versus my laptop?

this is interesting. what is the advantage of reading dep transcripts, etc. on a kindle versus my laptop?

lighter?