• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as you counted the seats to see if they could permit BYOB without a license if they needed to.    

There it is - a new theme: Dinner and a Show. Now if I could only sing Sinatra songs.

I don't think the problem was with the space, but the owners' lack of business acumen. No advertising, inconsistent opening hours, the tendency of the owners to hang out at the bar with their friends

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

@Wilfrid - they still are cooking the duck breast to our liking (i.e. properly)...

IMG_8368.thumb.jpeg.a30fcd0cfc4f5e8fcbcfab931f4309c1.jpeg

Magret on a bed of braised red cabbage, with Semmelknödel and Brussels sprouts.

The duck was great; the Semmelknödel perhaps even better. Amazingly light and soft, and prepared via baking in a bain marie, as opposed to simply baking or poaching.

Katja was slammed last night; great to see.

10 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Yes, I just saw that on IG. Maybe I should risk it.

For magret without risk, I highly recommend Majorelle, in the Lowell Hotel. I’ve ordered it there often, the last time in 2021 when they had outdoor dining.  It’s always on the menu with seasonal accompaniments. I feel confident you won’t be disappointed. They offer a two-course or three-course prix-fixe.

23 minutes ago, rozrapp said:

For magret without risk, I highly recommend Majorelle, in the Lowell Hotel. I’ve ordered it there often, the last time in 2021 when they had outdoor dining.  It’s always on the menu with seasonal accompaniments. I feel confident you won’t be disappointed. They offer a two-course or three-course prix-fixe.

The difference, of course, is that the 2-course is $135 and the 3 is $155.

Mine was $34.

@joethefoodieI presume $34 was just for the duck plate? No denying that Majorelle is expensive, but it is luxurious and quiet which we really appreciate. We’ve not been to Katja. From their IG feed, it appears they have outdoor tables. If they still have them when the weather gets warm again, perhaps we’ll try it since even if the magret is not always on the menu, we both like that type of cuisine.

1 hour ago, rozrapp said:

@joethefoodieI presume $34 was just for the duck plate? No denying that Majorelle is expensive, but it is luxurious and quiet which we really appreciate. We’ve not been to Katja. From their IG feed, it appears they have outdoor tables. If they still have them when the weather gets warm again, perhaps we’ll try it since even if the magret is not always on the menu, we both like that type of cuisine.

$34 was the duck and all its accompaniments.  Also, the cocktails at Majorelle are $24 and that's just insane.

No more outdoor tables at Katja - they've taken down their set up.

Two different experiences - I like fun and somewhat noisy.

44 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

$34 was the duck and all its accompaniments.  Also, the cocktails at Majorelle are $24 and that's just insane.

No more outdoor tables at Katja - they've taken down their set up.

Two different experiences - I like fun and somewhat noisy.

Michael never ordered a cocktail at Majorelle. He always paired a glass of wine with each course.

Thanks for the info re: Katja’s outdoor dining situation! 

To be fair, you can order an appropriate glass of wine while waiting for your first course and perhaps continue drinking it with your first course. Champagne, cava, Prosecco. 

(Yes, I’ve already had a cocktail on the way.)