Musical taste

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when I was 10, and a rabid fan of the Batman TV show, my mother bought me, for like a dollar at the supermarket, a record purporting to be music from the show. It seemed weird that they would have a record at the supermarket, but hey.

I remember staring at the sleeve, and being struck that keyboards were listed as having been played by somebody named Sun Ra. It was a strange name.

The music mostly wasn't music from the TV show, but I kind of liked it.

Obviously, the record soon got destroyed.

When I was in high school and learning about jazz, I learned about Sun Ra (through the MC5, as you might guess). The name seemed familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

Years and years later, when I was in my thirties or forties, I saw the Batman record on a Sun Ra discography. So that's why Sun Ra's name always seemed so familar! It turned out to be worse than I could have imagined: the record was made (for quick cash on some fly-by-night cheapo label) by Sun Ra and John Gilmore backed up by (I'm not making this up) the Blues Project.

I felt a stab pierce my heart.

I've since been able to get a reissue of the record on CD. But I can't help but think that, if only my brother and I hadn't trashed that record, I'd be able to retire on it.

So when I was 10, and a rabid fan of the Batman TV show, my mother bought me, for like a dollar at the supermarket, a record purporting to be music from the show. It seemed weird that they would have a record at the supermarket, but hey.

I remember staring at the sleeve, and being struck that keyboards were listed as having been played by somebody named Sun Ra. It was a strange name.

When I was in high school and learning about jazz, I learned about Sun Ra (through the MC5, as you might guess). The name seemed familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

Years and years later, when I was in my thirties or forties, I saw the Batman record on a Sun Ra discography. So that's why Sun Ra's name always seemed so familar! It turned out to be worse than I could have imagined: the record was made (for quick cash on some fly-by-night cheapo label) by Sun Ra and John Gilmore backed up by (I'm not making this up) the Blues Project.

I've since been able to get a reissue of the record on CD. But I can't help but think that, if only my brother and I hadn't trashed that record, I'd be able to retire on it.

Where were you planning on retiring?

i had a batman 45, back in the day, but don't know its provenance. i'll have to search attic and basement storage to confirm but i seem to recall a song that went something like "there goes batman there, there. here comes robin here, here" then something about "land or sea and in the air" it was a pretty jazzy tune. wonder if it's the same record.

Of course, Coltrane himself eventually grew to assume the burdens of group leadership.

COLTRANE: Are you ready, boys? Let's give glory to God. McCoy?

McCOY: Ready, Trane.

COLTRANE: Jimmy?

JIMMY: Hot dog.

COLTRANE: Elvin?

ELVIN: Nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnod.

COLTRANE: Elvin?

ELVIN: Nodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodnodndnodnod.

COLTRANE: EL-VIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ELVIN: OK, Trane!

Wow, now that is a prize factoid to pull out at dull hipster parties.

The guys at Third Street records in Philly (RIP) told me Sun Ra used to come in and sell LPs to them on consignment. I missed seeing him by about a year, but the Arkestra rocks on and they are great.

I've probably heard Beethoven's sonata No.9 for violin and piano many times. The "Kreutzer" is a staple on many concert programs and I have several recordings. But this weekend I heard a bit of a new recording (or at least one I hadn't heard before) on QXR, with Argerich and Vadim Repin. It was such a fresh and exciting performance I rushed home to download it.

I've probably heard Beethoven's sonata No.9 for violin and piano many times. The "Kreutzer" is a staple on many concert programs and I have several recordings. But this weekend I heard a bot of a new recording (or at least one I hadn't heard before) on QXR, with Argerich and Vadim Repin. I was such a fresh and exciting performance I rushed home to download it.

I'm a big Argerich fan. I'll look out for this.

I've probably heard Beethoven's sonata No.9 for violin and piano many times. The "Kreutzer" is a staple on many concert programs and I have several recordings. But this weekend I heard a bit of a new recording (or at least one I hadn't heard before) on QXR, with Argerich and Vadim Repin. It was such a fresh and exciting performance I rushed home to download it.

I don't know this recording yet either. Repin is very good though - Argerich has a really nice thing of wanting to work with younger players and is a great advertisment for doing interesting things having given up solo playing. My favorite recording of the Kreutzer is, by far, Joseph Szigeti with Bartok playing the piano, from the library of congress in the 40s. Amazing.

Oh, and if people will forgive the self-promotion, I've jst started a little website where you can hear some of my music properly:

www.alexhills.com