Golden Globes get cancelled

Since no one has said it yet I might as well do it. That scripted patter between the presenters on those awards shows is some of the lamest stuff I've ever heard. Cringeworthy. It's greeted by polite laughter by the insiders sitting in the room but I will bet that the TV audience scarcely smiles at those pathetic attempts at wit. Writers my ass. They don't need them to put on those shows.

Isn't Bruce Vilanch mostly responsible for that crap?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letterman's got "Radio personality Howard Stern; Ayo performs." (Interesting. Leno supposedly ran afoul of the Writer's Guild even though he writes his own stuff. How does Stern get away with doing his show on satellite? Or is radio not covered by the contract?)

The majority of TV shows, let alone radio, seem unaffected. I have no idea why.

Different unions?

TV Shows are affected equally. Networks have been playing reruns galore and, sadly, as a temporary plug, reality shows like American Gladiator. Even dudes like Leno or Stewart are not supposed to write their own stuff since that would make them writers and in violation of the strike. The loophole is as follows for talk show hosts, (a) think about something funny to say, (b) memorize the thing without putting it in paper (that would be writing), © repeat, (d) deliver a compendium of such thoughts as a monologue and (e) repeat for the next show.

There has been, as far as I know, very little information about the status of the talks. Maybe nothing is happening.

There's a bit of a conflict here between the expired MBA which explicitly allows performers to write their own material and the WGA strike rules which explicitly forbid it. Going after Leno like that is a stupid move by the WGA. Pointless posturing and quite possibly a battle they will lose which would weaken them far more than Leno's monologues. It's silly that they wouldn't have a problem if he improvised or ad-libbed his show but want to forbid him from reading a teleprompter.

The people around the Golden Globes are adversely affected, but unlike the Oscars which everyone loves, the GGs aren't all that popular beneath the surface. The Foreign Press Corps is a joke but any publicity is good so they play along.

Since no one has said it yet I might as well do it. That scripted patter between the presenters on those awards shows is some of the lamest stuff I've ever heard. Cringeworthy. It's greeted by polite laughter by the insiders sitting in the room but I will bet that the TV audience scarcely smiles at those pathetic attempts at wit. Writers my ass. They don't need them to put on those shows.

Isn't Bruce Vilanch mostly responsible for that crap?

He's a favorite writer for Crystal, Goldberg and Williams, oddly enough. He has a very frightening stand up comedy act, too boot. He's no Paul Lynde

There's a bit of a conflict here between the expired MBA which explicitly allows performers to write their own material and the WGA strike rules which explicitly forbid it. Going after Leno like that is a stupid move by the WGA. Pointless posturing and quite possibly a battle they will lose which would weaken them far more than Leno's monologues. It's silly that they wouldn't have a problem if he improvised or ad-libbed his show but want to forbid him from reading a teleprompter.

The people around the Golden Globes are adversely affected, but unlike the Oscars which everyone loves, the GGs aren't all that popular beneath the surface. The Foreign Press Corps is a joke but any publicity is good so they play along.

The part that sucks is when you are a huge strike supporter and you've been nominated for awards. What do you do? A friend is the writer/producer of "Mad Men" - his show is up for a number of GGs and now he's banged both ways from Sunday. Would he have attended? Of course not, but there's always that bit of ego saying the hell with friends and principle - I want my place in the sun.

Especially in Hollywood.

The part that sucks is when you are a huge strike supporter and you've been nominated for awards. What do you do? A friend is the writer/producer of "Mad Men" - his show is up for a number of GGs and now he's banged both ways from Sunday. Would he have attended? Of course not, but there's always that bit of ego saying the hell with friends and principle - I want my place in the sun.

Especially in Hollywood.

I think that's very tough to take. You did the job, you were recognized for your work. You get a plaque in the mail, and you can list it on your CV.

But, you can't get up to thank aunt flo, and your second grade teacher, and your dog rex, etc. You can't look down (literally) on your competition.

Hey Alan! The writers are wrong! They are asking for too much! Their jokes are not funny and they owe everything to the big guys. They should give up right away!!!!

Just kidding. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Really. Please don't send letters or emails. I was jesting!

Pay attention to your French girlfriend.

Hey Alan! The writers are wrong! They are asking for too much! Their jokes are not funny and they owe everything to the big guys. They should give up right away!!!!

Just kidding. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Really. Please don't send letters or emails. I was jesting!

Pay attention to your French girlfriend.

I'm with you on this one.