Central sounds appealing

Central was most appealing. Perhaps a bit brassier and noisier than I was anticipating but nevertheless very much up to par.

We were promptly seated. Professional service. Appealing wine list. And, of course, Richard's typically fine menu.

We had the faux gras, fried oysters, braised beef cheeks, and pig feet. All were truly excellent...and a good match up with a Malbec.

Central is highly recommended.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks but really can't wait outside for a table with the other couple I have invited.

How did he prepare the pig's feet, Peter?

Wilfrid, the pig's feet was chopped and mixed with various herbs, etc. and encased in a fried crust. This rendition reminded me of the Italian zamponi (sp?) dish. It was extraordinary and a real treat. I had it accompanied with sauteed brussels sprouts with bacon and a salad frisee with bacon(I got my pork fix).

Faux gras = fake fois gras?

Liza, Yes, very creamy, smooth, and rich probably made from chicken livers served with duck rillettee. Really a compelling dish, especially if you love liver like we do.

so the chef is a conscientious objector to the real thing?

Wilfrid, Not necessarily! Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but many people, including us, enjoy other faux gras delicacies while being foie gras fans as well.

We often have chicken liver pate, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas times.

Faux gras = fake fois gras?

Liza, Yes, very creamy, smooth, and rich probably made from chicken livers served with duck rillettee. Really a compelling dish, especially if you love liver like we do.

There is a recipe for the Chicken Faux Gras in Richard's Happy in the Kitchen, but I have not yet attempted it. I'm glad you enjoyed the meal.

Another restaurant should be added to the mix here as I don't believe it has been mentioned. It is José Andrés's Cafe Atlantico. We were luckily able to get last minute reservations and had a very nice meal.

Their sommelier is quite knowledgeable and helpful in navigating an appealing wine list.

How we got a reservation and got seated immediately, I'll never know. They were doing a landslide business.

Highly recommended.

so the chef is a conscientious objector to the real thing?

Wilfrid, Not necessarily! Not sure if you're being facetious or not, but many people, including us, enjoy other faux gras delicacies while being foie gras fans as well.

We often have chicken liver pate, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas times.

Richard certainly has nothing against goose liver. The faux gras at Citronelle is largely a result of its price point and "bistroness". With most apps $8-13 and most entrees $18 - $30 there's not really any space for the real thing.

• 11 years later...