American Idol 2008

I'm pissed that Danny Noriega got booted. I thought his version of Tainted Love was spectacular. I predict that it'll be in dance clubs this weekend.

it was fun to hear "tainted love" but his little dance as he came on stage was very odd and awkward

I like Danny Noriega, but "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" is one of my all-time favorite records, and his version was totally hideous. An awful arrangement.

i guess he was trying to make it his own and hip for the kids. the lesson is that one mustn't mess with perfection

He shoulda done "Sex Dwarf" instead, is my thinking.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching Idol only for the last three seasons or so-- I never saw the Reuben or Jennifer Hudson stuff. Then somebody told me I should YouTube the Kelly Clarkson performances, like she was really good or something, and I did... and wow, her post-idol career really hasn't quite lived up to her Idol promise, has it? I mean, she's had hits, which is more than some Idols can say, but has she done anything to match stuff like this?

64S5Rn9mlxs

Maybe Rancho will say that she butchered it, but I thought that was a great performance, succeeding on so many levels. I haven't seen anything remotely that good in the last three years of Idol.

The Irish chick this year is really good.

Maybe Rancho will say that she butchered it, but I thought that was a great performance, succeeding on so many levels. I haven't seen anything remotely that good in the last three years of Idol.

Actually, I think it's Bette Midler who butchered it and kelly's was pretty good. Of course, the Betty Hutton version is the best.

I was a fan from the first season and it was very exciting seeing Clarkson blossom right before your eyes.

Hey, Lennon/McCartney night wasn't bad at all! Right? Some definite clunkers-- I fear for Syesha, because I think she's good usually-- she should have just Motowned up "Got To Get You Into My Life." That's how it was written. Her version was just strange. I think Ramiele has a pretty voice but she may go home too after her anodyne version of "In My Life." If there were any justice David Archuleta would be out-- he was terrible on one of my top five Beatles songs, "We Can Work It Out." I also wonder if this kid knows that John Lennon was in the Beatles. Two weeks ago he talks about how much he loves "Imagine," and this week he's flummoxed by a Lennon/McCartney night because it isn't his kind of music? David Hernandez and Michael Johns both delivered Vegas-style showbiz versions of their songs.

But Carly was great on "Come Together." I think she has the best voice in the competition. Amanda was very good on "You Can't Do That." I thought she did a great job, I just wonder (as I usually do) if she picked the best song-- maybe a rocker song that's better known would have been smarter? I thought the first part of Chikesie's "She's a Woman" worked beautifully; the rest was a bit hysterical and forced. David Cook made "Eleanor Rigby" work as a moody rocker song, but I wish he hadn't said "wearing his socks in the night when there's nobody there." I hate Brooke, but her heartfelt "Let It Be" was a shrewd pick for her.

The country "Eight Days a Week" was okay, I thought. Not nearly as bad as the judges thought it was.

And when Paula said "I can feel your heart, in fact I'd like to cut it right out of your chest and eat it," I was a bit uncomfortable.

That's how I expected to feel, especially after I couldn't take that Archuleta version of "Imagine" that so many people seemed to like. I thought a good number did sincere versions in relatively decent taste. When I say some of them were "great," I don't really mean I think they were great, like the Beatles were great. I mean great, given the hammy Vegas-style thing that they're doing.

Seth, I agree that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I kept having to remind myself that most of the people voting probably haven't heard those songs. Eight Days A Week was awful. It sounded like something on Hee Haw. I think David's youth will eventually be his downfall in this competition. He's up against too much seasoned talent. I loved Carly and Amanda. I think the stripper is goin' home tonight. He's just dumb.

Another potential angle: the Paul vs. John debate. Who did the Idols prefer?

Paul:

Got to Get You Into My Life

She's a Woman

Eleanor Rigby

Let It be

John:

Across the Universe

Come Together

You Can't Do That

If I Fell

Both:

I Saw Her Standing There (leans Paul)

We Can Work it Out (equal)

In My Life (leans John-- this one is actually disputed, with John claiming credit for all but the "middle eight" (there is no middle eight) and Paul claiming that he set the whole thing to music)

Eight Days a Week (I can't remember who wrote it but it sounds like a classic Beatlemania-phase head-to-head collaboration-- John sings it, so let's say it leans John's way)

Okay, so it's more or less even. Not so interesting.

I thought that Eight Days a Week was very silly. It kind of reminded me of one of those shows you would see at Six Flags.

My prediction...

Bottom 3:

Ramiele

David Hernandez

Kristi Lee Cook

Eliminated - Kristi Lee Cook

I'm with Steve. About 95% of it was horrible. I like Dave Cook, but his version of "Eleanor Rigby" made me uncomfortable, not in a good way. I really like Brooke White and thought she was good. I think she's a natural and I love the smoky quality of her voice. Carly was pretty good, but her performances are too over-the-top/yelly and calculated for me. I much preferred her version of "I Drove All Night" the week before (a rare disagreement with Simon's assessment). Now I fear I must suffer through another week of Chikezie. I'm sure he gained some new fans. :ph43r: Michael Johns' performance was like Josh Groban Lite. The clueless country chick was not listening to the band for timing for one second. She should perhaps be in a Noxzema campaign and then Never. Sing. Again.

And every American Idol season has a douchebag like David Hernandez. He'll be gone soon.

I should add I am not a Beatles purist and don't think the L+M Songbook is a sacred text. I just thought they mostly did a poor job.

You are right about Let it be. I think the chorus was too much for her but the verses were very good. Straightforward and yet still distinct.

8 Days a Week would have been fine as a country song, but as a country shuffle or something slower. This was beyond bad.

I also think Ryan Seacrest and Abdul, 2 useless voices in the world of taste and music, picking on Simon is obnoxious and makes me uncomfortable.

Seacrest, the "next Larry King!", is a jerk. He produced the seminal Sunset Tan for E and now is "dating" one of the "stars". He also produces the bad Kardashian trainwreck and who should be in the audience last night, but music fan Kim! He's also producing CHarlie Sheen's ex-wife's up coming piece of poo and who should he have on his radio show to let air her side of things? Lovely Denise Richards! I think this is all fine if he were up front about it but people don't know his role behind the scenes. Why do I?

I'm with Steve. About 95% of it was horrible.

I can see that opinion, but do you mean more so than usual? Or just as horrible as always? I usually find a good bit of it painful to sit through, and last night was less painful than usual for me. You guys think it was more painful?

It's always better TV than it is music for me.

I generally think Simon is on point, but sometimes his lapses in taste are evident, as when he says he really likes the way Whitney Houston or Celine Dion performed a song or when he says ANY song by Lennon/McCartney is not a good song.

Seacrest, the "next Larry King!", is a jerk. He produced the seminal Sunset Tan for E and now is "dating" one of the "stars". He also produces the bad Kardashian trainwreck and who should be in the audience last night, but music fan Kim! He's also producing CHarlie Sheen's ex-wife's up coming piece of poo and who should he have on his radio show to let air her side of things? Lovely Denise Richards! I think this is all fine if he were up front about it but people don't know his role behind the scenes. Why do I?

Perhaps you missed Denise Richards in the actual AI audience last week. They did a closeup and I recoiled in horror.

Yes, I actually did think Lennon & McCartney night was more painful than usual.

I don't recall Simon ever saying he prefers the, for example, Whitney or Celine version of a song. What he says is "You're trying to do the Whitney/Celine version, right? In that case, it was a failure." With Archuleta, he said, "You're trying to do the Stevie Wonder version of the song, and it failed." With Carly last week, he said, "You're trying to do the Celine version of the song, and it failed." (The latter one I disagree with, not because I am a Celine fan [quite the contrary], but because I adore that song and think Carly did a fine job with it.)

I should add I am not a Beatles purist and don't think the L+M Songbook is a sacred text. I just thought they mostly did a poor job.

You are right about Let it be. I think the chorus was too much for her but the verses were very good. Straightforward and yet still distinct.

8 Days a Week would have been fine as a country song, but as a country shuffle or something slower. This was beyond bad.

I also think Ryan Seacrest and Abdul, 2 useless voices in the world of taste and music, picking on Simon is obnoxious and makes me uncomfortable.

How do you KNOW all this? Too much information. I just watch them sing and then decide which one sounds the best.....