rockdoggydog

Pike Place Market Lunch Crawl

My chili burger was a very pleasant surprise. The chili was a black bean and sirloin chili that was really really good. Like, I would gladly order a bowl of chili good. The burger itself was overcooked, tough, and not very good, but the chili totally saved it. In fact it would have been in line with Sound View for worst burger in the Market if not for the chili. Lowell's is definitely still a good place to take visitors for the view, I'll never actively want to go there, but the food is much better than I remember it being.

Rocky

This week Lauren and I went to Kells to check out the lunch options.

3118944431_366607cc65.jpg

3118946905_cf6ee0ebc2_b.jpg

Decent soda bread - standard nothing special

3118949121_947beff644.jpg

One of my favourite items here, the sausage roll - the pastry was nice and flaky and the gravy was excellent

3119778522_dab1fdce4c_b.jpg

3119780746_4d29c9e77d.jpg

Steak and Kidney Pie with a cup of vegetarian split pea - Lauren, our server, and I all commented on how not split pea it was because of a lack of pig products, good pastry again, nice and heavy on the kidneys

3119783204_5d85e4bf88_b.jpg

Corned Beef Sandwich

3119785980_7ea84d087f_b.jpg

I am an Owl n Thistle guy, always have been. Kells is a perfectly fine pub though and has some good solid food to back it up. I would gladly come back to Kells especially for the sausage roll.

Rocky

Jan, Rocky and I hit up the Mexican Grocery last week. They only take cash and there isn't room inside to sit so we headed to the public spaces behind the creamery and Jack's Fish Spot.

Jan and I both had the pork tamales with rice and beans and a side of chips and salsa

3183241014_0cf06a7b5a.jpg

The tamales was fine, a good amount of pork inside. The beans were dry. Chips were out of a bag but the green salsa was good. Nothing was good enough for me to seek it out again although I did see some grocery items in the shop I would go back for.

Rocky had the breakfast burrito and pork tamale with chips and gauc

3182396919_372e96430b.jpg

I agree with Wendy. The tamales were decent, but the beans and rice were not exciting. I do think their salsas are quite good and I often buy them, cheeses, dried chiles, canned salsas, tamales and tortillas for take home. They also sell prepared masa for tortillas, which I haven't tried and they used to sell prepared hominy for pozole, which I bought once, but now that I have RG hominy, I don't really need it.

But isn't that plate all of $3.50? And quick and filling...that made it a regular for me when I was close by.

So, snow delay on finishing out the year? Still haven't figured out what you are leaving to the end, unless Etta's?!

But isn't that plate all of $3.50? And quick and filling...that made it a regular for me when I was close by.

So, snow delay on finishing out the year? Still haven't figured out what you are leaving to the end, unless Etta's?!

a bit more, $4.50 but honestly I kindof wanted something else. It felt a bit like wasted calories to me.

our final lunch is Friday :)

a bit more, $4.50 but honestly I kindof wanted something else. It felt a bit like wasted calories to me.

our final lunch is Friday :)

I can see that - it was a good shot in the summer when I could not get close to my real regular spots and I was ready to eat anything. I think the prices went up too.

Wow! You made it, almost!

I was brought a knish and some Swedish cookies from the arcade by the newsstand. Not bad.

I feel really indifferent about the Mexican Grocery. My tamale was oversalted a bit but moist. The breakfast burrito was a chorizo and egg burrito and pretty good actually. I would probably have that again, but I don't think I'll ever crave anything from Mexican Grocery.

Rocky

Well, the final lunch? I'm looking forward to reading wrap-ups/reflections from the participants, too.

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I've been slammed. Here is our last lunch. We saved Le Pichet for that honor.

3214950849_74d36f677b.jpg

3215801030_6c27e8853b.jpg

Duck Salad

3214952209_4b9d9d9511.jpg

Anchovy Fritters

3215803342_dff2be9a12.jpg

Frites

3214952897_6b9898e4a3.jpg

Raclette

3215803992_43d7793cec.jpg

Charcuterie

3214953611_b1d11747d0.jpg

Oysters

3214954047_4b893f5300.jpg

And the oddly plated sausage served with the oysters

3215805162_040ae49625.jpg

mmmmm... Lauren those pictures are awesome!

I loved my lunch, but I love le pichet and they can rarely do wrong in my eyes! We started with a nice bubbly and then had a few bottles of rhone. I love the raclette but love anything with melted cheese so..... charcut plate was wonderful, the salads both very nice. oysters! the stand out was the lemon white chocolate tart for me, surprising and delish!

We started with a nice bubbly and then had a few bottles of rhone.

I meant to end with this pic but forgot to post it

3215801878_7bb0935910.jpg

A perfect end to the year, even though it was at the beginning of the new year. Everything was delicious, with the highlights for me being the charcuterie plate, the raclette, the duck salad, the frites and that delicious lemon white chocolate tart (and I don't normally care much for white chocolate). Cheers to the end of the crawl!

Thank Yahweh we get to eat somewhere besides the Market for lunch now! Le Pichet was very nice as always. The charcuterie was impeccable and I enjoyed the onion soup. It was a great way to wrap up and celebrate the end of the quest.

Rocky