Friends of Colombian Orphans

Jane, I brought back five of those canes for you the last time I visited Mexico. I am coming up to Austin the weekend of the 16th of October, and can bring them then if that's okay. It will save me considerable postage. Will that be soon enough?

Yes. Bless your generous heart. Are we going to see you the weekend of the 16th?

Absolutely. Can we do something wonderful? I'm coming up on Sat, home on Sunday.

I'll be the one with the five Mexican canes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The auction will include a Rancho Gordo gift box (thank you, Steve!) and a gift certificate for dinner for four at Nobu Next Door (thank you, Cathy!).

Stay tuned.

Just received a donation of three classes at ICE in NYC. Value, $125 each. Good for cooking, wine, food media classes and culinary walking tours.

Will this be of interest to New Yorkers?

• 2 weeks later...

The teens are knitting after school three days a week. Club Michin is setting up bank accounts in the teens' names and banking their income from knitting. In order for the money to be removed from the accounts, a rep from Michin AND FOCO must sign off on it. 50% of the sale of their items rolls back into the foundation, to buy more machines and yarn. The other 50% is the kid's money, to be banked until he or she reaches 18 years old. 10% of that money will be paid in cash to the student as well, for pocket money.

I know there will still be plenty of obstacles and glitches in this program, but I feel like we are moving forward again. Club Michin is really supportive of what we are trying to do. We like the samples that we have seen. Now I have to create a new website so that we can sell baby clothing from it and keep it very current.

I'm going to Bogota in January - around the 16th - if anyone wants to donate new socks, underwear, Beanie Babies, etc. for us to take down there (we will have 3 large suitcases), please let me know. Club Michin has newborns all the way through adults and their needs are great.

I am sad that our relationship with Ciudadela has been put on hold. There have been too many changes in administration and I don't trust them to distribute any goods that we might take to them.

Anyway, I'm collecting donated items for this next trip.

It's Thanksgiving week. I'll probably put everything up on Saturday, Nov. 20. I'll post a link in here to it. I also will have links from Facebook and the website.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to Bogota in January to check on the program and hopefully bring back baby clothes. I'll be visiting here:Hogares Club Michin (this is where our program is) and bringing a few suitcases full of gifts for kids. They range in age from newborn to 18.

If you have any gently used Beanie Babies, new socks, underwear in kids' sizes, nail polish, barrettes,pencils, Matchbox toys, etc. to share, let me know.

Shoelaces, Cathy???

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...