I have absolutely no interest in the Oscars this year. The only film I've really seen is There Will be Blood (twice) and thought it was good, not great. Daniel Day of course is The Magnificent (...."if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw")... nothing but brilliant. Robert Elswitt's cinematography was pristine.

HATED Juno. Walked out after 30 minutes, so annoyed by cloying absurd dialogue and an infantile saccharine soundtrack shoved done my throat in a pathetic cover for emotion ressonance. Jason Reitman continuing the schlock Reitman film dynasty for the ironically hip generation...

Tod Haynes's Dylan biopic was unbearable, but the lovely Cate was fabulous, her Dylan making it really the only thing worth watching, outside of Charlotte Gainsbourg for me. No Country for Old Men? Eh - read the book and didn't like that very much. Not interested in having the Coen Bros torture me for two hours. I have been holed up with my dvd player making my way through Josef Von Sternberg films - Blue Angel, Morocco, Scarlett Empress. Cued up is Shanghai Express and The Devil is a Woman. Dietrich's face in black and white holds a far more interesting adventure to me than all this years film nominees combined.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have absolutely no interest in the Oscars this year. The only film I've really seen is There Will be Blood (twice) and thought it was good, not great. Daniel Day of course is The Magnificent (...."if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw")... nothing but brilliant. Robert Elswitt's cinematography was pristine.

HATED Juno. Walked out after 30 minutes, so annoyed by cloying absurd dialogue and an infantile saccharine soundtrack shoved done my throat in a pathetic cover for emotion ressonance. Jason Reitman continuing the schlock Reitman film dynasty for the ironically hip generation...

Tod Haynes's Dylan biopic was unbearable, but the lovely Cate was fabulous, her Dylan making it really the only thing worth watching, outside of Charlotte Gainsbourg for me. No Country for Old Men? Eh - read the book and didn't like that very much. Not interested in having the Coen Bros torture me for two hours. I have been holed up with my dvd player making my way through Josef Von Sternberg films - Blue Angel, Morocco, Scarlett Empress. Cued up is Shanghai Express and The Devil is a Woman. Dietrich's face in black and white holds a far more interesting adventure to me than all this years film nominees combined.

I wish you had seen No Country. I know I'd like your rant on the ending.

award shows are what they are--mostly spectacle. from time to time some selections are more egregious than others ("ordinary people" over "raging bull", "rocky" over "annie hall"), but it really isn't a good use of anger to spend it on the oscars.

While I liked Raging Bull fine, I liked Ordinary People more. Sue me.

Do you have bad taste insurance?

I saw 3:10 to Yuma a few nights ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Russell Crowe was actually quite good in it and the cinematography was gorgeous. It's not up for much tonight except in the categories of score and sound editing, I think. I need to go back and see the 50's version of the movie with Clark Gable.

I almost felt like leaving Juno early on for similar reasons--the second half was a lot better I think but I'm still surprised at the amount of acclaim it's getting.

I saw 3:10 to Yuma a few nights ago and enjoyed it quite a bit. Russell Crowe was actually quite good in it and the cinematography was gorgeous. It's not up for much tonight except in the categories of score and sound editing, I think. I need to go back and see the 50's version of the movie with Clark Gable.

That's the one that no one has ever seen.

That's the one that no one has ever seen.

'Cept me... I've seen 'em all except all the foreign and documentary films.

I've also been having a weekend-long marathon slumber party with a bunch of girlfriends. We've been running films almost continually since Friday night so that my GFs could catch up on all the ones they had missed. Sweeney Todd was our breakfast this morning. In the middle of Charlie Wilson's War now and lunch will be There Will Be Blood.

ETA - the '57 version of 3:10 to Yuma starred Glenn Ford and Van Heflin... not Gable. (I think it is a far superior film...)