what is this? poke a stick in Russ's cage week? well, ok: the minneola is a tangelo, which is a cross between a mandarin (or tangerine) and a grapefruit (or pummelo). the first of these hybrids were introduced around 1900. they're not a free-peeling as mandarins, and neither are they as dry as pummelos. they can be good fruit but, particularly judging by the tree in my backyard, need mature trees to reach full flavor. Mine is about 17-18 years old and just started popping really sweet fruit about 3-4 years ago. lecture concluded.

what is this? poke a stick in Russ's cage week? well, ok: the minneola is a tangelo, which is a cross between a mandarin (or tangerine) and a grapefruit (or pummelo).

Not directed at Russ specifically, but does anyone know if people who are supposed to avoid grapefruit (i.e. take Lipitor) should also avoid tangelos?

I don't know about the avoiding grapefruit thing, but I do know that Paredez Farms at the Ferry Plaza market in SF had the most amazing clementines (I'm pretty sure they were clementines) that I have ever had in my life. I was so impressed with clementines in general that I bought some at our brand spanking new Whole Foods here in Napa. Blecccccchhh and on top of the blech factor, the ones on the bottom of the pre-packaged bag were moldy to a more than moderately disgusting degree. Damn you, Whole Foods and shame on me for buying away from the farmers market.

what is this? poke a stick in Russ's cage week? well, ok: the minneola is a tangelo, which is a cross between a mandarin (or tangerine) and a grapefruit (or pummelo).

Not directed at Russ specifically, but does anyone know if people who are supposed to avoid grapefruit (i.e. take Lipitor) should also avoid tangelos?

You can eat twice as many Mineolas since they're only half grapefruit. :lol:

Seriously, I had the same question. The advisor at my health plan said "That's a good question! I've never heard that one before! You should ask your doctor!"

I haven't seen the doc since then. I've been through two Mineola binges. Still alive. YMMV. :)

this is from the summary of a study quoted by USDA:

Tangelos are citrus hybrids with grapefruit and tangerine parentage and are a significant crop in Florida, marketed as specialty fruit. Because tangelos contain genetic material from grapefruit, there is the question of whether they contain furanocoumarins and exhibit an interaction with the same drugs associated with the grapefruit/drug interaction. Authentic samples of 12 commercially grown tangelos and 2 nonhybrid tangerine varieties grown in Florida were obtained and screened for furanocoumarin monomer and dimer content. None of the tangelos or tangerines tested were found to contain any furanocoumarins. This presents evidence the commercial tangerine and tangelo varieties grown in Florida are unlikely to cause any interaction with the drugs affected by grapefruit.

Tangelos are citrus hybrids with grapefruit and tangerine parentage and are a significant crop in Florida, marketed as specialty fruit. Because tangelos contain genetic material from grapefruit, there is the question of whether they contain furanocoumarins and exhibit an interaction with the same drugs associated with the grapefruit/drug interaction. Authentic samples of 12 commercially grown tangelos and 2 nonhybrid tangerine varieties grown in Florida were obtained and screened for furanocoumarin monomer and dimer content. None of the tangelos or tangerines tested were found to contain any furanocoumarins. This presents evidence the commercial tangerine and tangelo varieties grown in Florida are unlikely to cause any interaction with the drugs affected by grapefruit.

Thanks Russ, the hubby will be pleased to hear that!

• 1 year later...
]

seth, not to be pedantic, but clementines are mandarin oranges, just like ruby red is a grapefruit. sometimes stores call them by the varietal (almost always only with clementines), but more often they just call them "mandarin oranges." it's hard to tell which varieties you're buying without labels, but both satsumas and clementines are early-season seedless mandarins that are often sold with leaves and stems attached. both can be really good, so it could have been either of them.

You pedant! We people from Chico mean satsumas when we say 'mandarins.' We call clementines 'clementines.'

Whether it belongs on this thread or under "France" or "Middle East and Africa" I don't know, but if you have a chance to buy clementines from Morocco, Algeria or even Corsica, jump at the chance. They are abundant in the street markets and green grocers in France in the winter months, aka NOW, and are the perfect balance of sweetness and acid. Be careful, since many clementines are from Spain and are simply sweet without the acidity that makes the flavor so special. They put our California clems to shame.

• 8 months later...

Something of an update -

I just got an email from my health insurer telling me to avoid tangelos & Seville oranges, as well as grapefruit, since I take statins. That's all it said, no citations.

I did some googling on the subject which led me to this 2007 piece from Cardiology Today, which cites a 2005 study from Journal of Food Science that reached essentially the same conclusion that Russ quotes above.

I also found that misspelling of "furanocoumarin" as "furocoumarin" is Rampant on the Net (mostly from a sentence on Wikipedia that seems to have gone viral). When I googled on the correct spelling, I was led right back to this thread. There's no escaping Mouthfuls!

Wondering whether my health insurer had more recent info that prompted this email, I tried to use their Interactive Nurse Chat facility. I think I got connected to someone in Singapore who had no idea what I was talking about. I suppose I will call them at some point when I have the time.

I have continued to eat tangelos with no apparent ill effects.