Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill

Die Walkurie let out at 11:30 PM. I had planned to buy a sandwich during intermission, but in the event I Just Couldn't. As I was disgorged from the Met after the final curtain, I remembered that this new late-night option had opened a few blocks away.

My problem with the Blue Ribbon restaurants (I haven't yet eaten in the wine bar, which sounds delightful) has been that, to me, they just aren't good enough to be worth paying not-insubstantial prices for. The food isn't bad by any means. It just isn't really good.

This new entrant, which combines the sushi and American Bistro menus of other Blue Ribbon outlets, is no exception.

You walk in through the lobby of the new Thompson 6 Columbus Circle Hotel (as everyone points out, the hotel isn't actually on Columbus Circle, but rather on 58th St., right across the street from the side entrance to the Time Warner Center). I'd like to say that the restaurant's business is being hurt by its lack of a street entrance, but in actuality the bar scene was remarkably lively for 11:30 on a Monday night.

I started, reflexively, with a "special" of uni in the shell. (Judging by how frequently this "special" is available at the Brooklyn BR outpost, I'd say diners can have some confidence the uni will be there if they want it.) You know how supernal the uni is at Kuruma? Well, this isn't. (You might say it's unfair to compare BR to what may be the most expensive restaurant in New York. But at $17 a serving, they're not giving their uni away. That's my problem with BR. They're not cheap enough to be excused for not being better than they are.)

I then, equally reflexively, had the pigeon entree. The menu lists it as being served with curried okra. What you get are a few breast slices and two legs of pigeon, served with some gloppy vegetables, and a scoop of rice with some brown sauce on it. The kind of protein-vegetable-starch plating you see in second-rate restaurants the country over. As long as the food doesn't look like a pool of vomit or something, I'm not a maniac about plating the way others on the boards are. But this food wasn't prepared much better than it was plated. The bird was a little greasy, the vegetables were overcooked, the rice was nondescript. Nothing terrible, mind you. But I'm paying more than $30 for this highly ordinary dish?

The sake list is excellent. The wine-by-the-glass list is standard.

I don't get these places.

My problem with the Blue Ribbon restaurants (I haven't yet eaten in the wine bar, which sounds delightful) has been that, to me, they just aren't good enough to be worth paying not-insubstantial prices for. The food isn't bad by any means. It just isn't really good.

well said. But if I need bone marrow in the drunken hours and am not by home.....

The place I thought had more Asian influence.. I wouldnt think you could order pigeon there..

The place I thought had more Asian influence.. I wouldnt think you could order pigeon there..

It's schizophrenic.

It has an extensive Sushi/Some Other Japanese Stuff menu, and then a bunch of "American Bistro" stuff.

That's why it's called Blue Ribbon Sushi Bar & Grill.

• 6 years later...