Thanks, Suzanne! Now I need another plan for the RG marrow beans I soaked in anticipation of soup-making. Sigh.

Make Marcella Hazan's white bean and swiss chard soup. No stock required, you use the cooking liquid from the chard and water.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

But I really mourn the loss of that stock.

Spoken like a true foodie.

It all sounds pretty durned agonizing & aggravating.

Like Squeat, I'd never heard of collapsible bowls either. I must say they don't intuitively seem like a great idea.

Like Squeat, I'd never heard of collapsible bowls either. I must say they don't intuitively seem like a great idea.

Not so great in practice, either. :) They're good salad and batter bowls. Only a doofus would use one for hot liquid.

Make Marcella Hazan's white bean and swiss chard soup. No stock required, you use the cooking liquid from the chard and water.

Brilliant!

Several summers on Fire Island (no cars, everything delivered by ferry,no stores in our community) have made me brilliant at improvisational cooking. And dealing with kitchen disasters. ;)

We were seated near the DotD at the 92nd Street Y this afternoon: forty-something, a doctor (from the looks of her note pad) with a five- or six-year-old son. She did at least stop talking on her cell phone (BlueTooth? one of those over-the-ear jobbies) as the concert began, but kept working her PDA. <_< The child fidgeted throughout the first half; mom eventually stopped texting and even hid the PDA under her program . . . and fell asleep. At the end of intermission--following a minor duetto by Rossini and a bunch of Chopin etudes played by a thirteen-year-old--the child started whining and so mom said If you want to leave, we will. And so they did, missing (I presume) the Schubert Octet, one of the all-time great pieces of chamber (or any) music. How is she going to teach the child how to be a polite concert-goer if she is such a dingbat herself, not to mention such a spoiler of her son?

We were seated near the DotD at the 92nd Street Y this afternoon: forty-something, a doctor (from the looks of her note pad) with a five- or six-year-old son. She did at least stop talking on her cell phone (BlueTooth? one of those over-the-ear jobbies) as the concert began, but kept working her PDA. <_< The child fidgeted throughout the first half; mom eventually stopped texting and even hid the PDA under her program . . . and fell asleep. At the end of intermission--following a minor duetto by Rossini and a bunch of Chopin etudes played by a thirteen-year-old--the child started whining and so mom said If you want to leave, we will. And so they did, missing (I presume) the Schubert Octet, one of the all-time great pieces of chamber (or any) music. How is she going to teach the child how to be a polite concert-goer if she is such a dingbat herself, not to mention such a spoiler of her son?

she will not teach him to be polite, but perhaps now he will avoid all concerts and other artistic endeavors, so that those of us who know how to behave may continue to enjoy them in relative peace

I'm hoping this is the capper in a string of dumb kitchen mishaps.

I pulled the T'giving turkey carcass out of the freezer and made a delicious, deeply flavored stock. When it was done, I strained it into a big bowl. A big collapsible bowl.

The edge of the stockpot clipped the rim of the bowl, which obligingly collapsed, showering me with hot stock. My right leg, from hip to ankle, is one angry oozing blister.

I'm lucky it wasn't worse, and that the cats weren't underfoot. But I really mourn the loss of that stock.

Ow ow ow... heal quickly!

How is she going to teach the child how to be a polite concert-goer if she is such a dingbat herself, not to mention such a spoiler of her son?

Alas, it is likely that she only took him to be able to brag to her friends about what a wonderful mom she is, showering him with cultural experiences. Of course, they loved the concert! It was exceptional, and he listened SO politely, but these things can be a little long for children, so unfortunately she had to take him home before the Schubert, so sad to have missed it but it couldn't be helped... :rolleyes:

My right leg, from hip to ankle, is one angry oozing blister.

I hope that you have some flamazine (silver sulfadiazine 1%) for it. If you haven't heard of it, ask your doctor (Rx only). It's the best treatment for burns.