2 hours ago, prasantrin said:

@small h I hope the memory of my accident didn't interfere in your meal prep too much! I keep thinking I need to find my mandoline and make sure it's properly stored and that the finger guard is still there.     

I think the incident gave me a little bit of ptsd. I feel a little panicky when I have to use a knife, and so have avoided doing anything related to cooking but reheat leftovers since Sunday. I also feel a little nervous when I watch anyone else use a knife, which made watching Top Chef Canada a bit stressful.      

I think the NP did a great job putting me back together, though. She did her best to line up the two sections of severed blood vessel before she started stitching, and as a result, I did not bleed through my bandages at all. She prepared me to expect heavy-ish continued bleeding, and even gave me a bunch of supplies so I could change them when needed. Now I have free first aid supplies!

2 hours ago, small h said:

It made me very careful! which is probably not a bad thing. Hope you heal up well and get your knife mojo back soon.

Of course, using the guard is the way to go.   But for the rest of us, pushing food with the palm of your hand is safer than using fingers.    And tossing the last fragment into the soup collection is cheap at twice the price.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, voyager said:

Of course, using the guard is the way to go.  

I was laterally shaving asparagus. I just stared at my hands, like a surgeon (maybe - the best view of a surgeon's hands I've had while awake is Gray's Anatomy).

I have that exact thing! (the middle one). But I think the mandoline does a better job. I guess I'll go with the peeler next time, in case I've gotten better at shaving with it.

5:00 ago I cut my finger slicing a lemon. I have jinxed myself.

9 hours ago, voyager said:

Jacques uses a version of these.

I'm pretty sure the only one I use is the middle one (non serrated, swivel). Though i do have the others in various formats - the "Y" shaped I have with straight blades -- also a good one. Not a fan of serrated peelers.

I can do pretty thin slices with a sharp knife, and certainly wouldn't use a mandoline for asparagus.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

The appliances we ordered for the kitchen renovation have been coming in one by one.  Yesterday, the refrigerator was delivered along with some component parts.  I hadn't noticed that the range hood was also on the delivery list, and apparently neither did the delivery guy.  I guess that makes two dingbats.  The appliance store is now trying to figure out where the heck it might have gone.

• 1 month later...

My contractor, for thinking we'd gotten the physical copy of the signed permit from the city.  Turns out neither of us did, and he and his crew lost a day of work today because he had to run around to get that copy after a visit from the city's inspector yesterday.

7 hours ago, StephanieL said:

My contractor, for thinking we'd gotten the physical copy of the signed permit from the city.  Turns out neither of us did, and he and his crew lost a day of work today because he had to run around to get that copy after a visit from the city's inspector yesterday.

Well here we paid an "expeditor" to get all the permits when reno was done. Not cheap.

When we did a reno in our DC "pied," I actually got some of the permits myself.  Much prefer paying the expeditor, as those agencies make the DMV seem like a vacation.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:37 PM, Sneakeater said:

I thought this was going to be the post where you remember ordering all this random stuff under the name Parker.  

I would never have ordered a hummingbird feeder that ugly, even under the influence.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:16 PM, StephanieL said:

My contractor, for thinking we'd gotten the physical copy of the signed permit from the city.  Turns out neither of us did, and he and his crew lost a day of work today because he had to run around to get that copy ....

Try getting that done in one day in San Francisco.