1 hour ago, joethefoodie said:

I don’t turn the big oven on from about May through October…roasting, when done, in the Cuisinart counter top oven.

Yes, of course, not Daddy Bear oven, only Baby Bear oven; my mistake today was using Mummy Bear oven. 🤣

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

You have three ovens????!!!!

In our house, we have two wall ovens (the top one includes convection) + a toaster oven. So, that’s three.

2 minutes ago, rozrapp said:

In our house, we have two wall ovens (the top one includes convection) + a toaster oven. So, that’s three.

You have a house.  If Wilf's apartment is anything like mine, my guess is his kitchen isn't as big as your's!

Of course if I had a house, I'd probably have multiple ovens, both inside and out. Including an Ooni or something similar.

I would totally get one if I had the space. When I bought my ice cream maker in 2001 spouse's reaction was "well that's something that will get used once". I happily proved him wrong.

16 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

And how often does each get used?

I mean all of them get used, but the esoteric grilling stuff is probably a waste of money. But fun to send pics to the 'bros.  Nothing gets respect from the fellas like two whole stripers in turbot clamps getting flipped over coals.

I actually use the chamber vac a lot for sealing stocks and other liquids in sous vide bags, freezing them flat and then stacking them in the freezer - which takes up way less space than tupperware. also fun to play with fruit and veg textures, quick pickling. its a good toy. I don't really sous vide outside of managing timings for parties and what not.

Proofing bin and the Ooni are highly correlated as I'm mostly out of the bread game. But in the fall/winter/spring a big life saver - right now not so much. 

the killer thing about the ice creamer maker is just how easy it is to churn like a quick sorbet on a weeknight or make two different flavors of ice cream back to back.  It probably gets used 2-3x a month depending on how much we're around (I didn't sleep in my own bed on a Saturday from before Memorial Day to last weekend)

I'd use a chamber vac a lot, I'm sure.  Even my current non chamber vac gets used frequently enough. 

I have a compressor driver ice-cream maker - however, I still just bought a Ninja Creami as I couldn't pass up the prime day sale price of $129.

And if I had a grill and a smoker...or just even a Weber...whole duck, brined and smoked on a Weber, is pretty fucking incredible.

Let's not even start on the Ooni...

36 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

I'd use a chamber vac a lot, I'm sure.  Even my current non chamber vac gets used frequently enough. 

I have a compressor driver ice-cream maker - however, I still just bought a Ninja Creami as I couldn't pass up the prime day sale price of $129.

And if I had a grill and a smoker...or just even a Weber...whole duck, brined and smoked on a Weber, is pretty fucking incredible.

Let's not even start on the Ooni...

I've really figured out how to consistently make a spatchcocked chicken on the grill that is both smoky and has nicely crisped skin.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on anything beyond a weber kettle for the main grill. 

Part of me wants to do this https://www.grillworksusa.com/products but I'm not sure I don't want something with a lid.  I'm very open to thoughts. 

The ooni is great. I have the pro which has enough height that I can also use it to roast things which is fun

• Like 1

I don't know if they still make this product - but it was a great grill...and I set it up with a rotisserie, which was awesome as well.  When I had mine, it had cast-iron grates as well.  I like the cover idea for sure...

image.png.b8db20607a24ad6a5927e879ec925fa2.png

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Char-Broil-940X-Charcoal-Grill-Model-08301390-26/21555779

It was solid piece of equipment, unbeatable at the price. I moved it with me from California, and actually gifted it to a Hudson river valley friend!