Ah yes, the sports journalist on television this morning proposing that today's Congressional proceedings involving Roger Clemens are so earth-shatteringly important that you have to reach back to McCarthy, Watergate and Iran-Contra for anything on the same level.

Stick to sportswriting, pal.

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

From the NY Post Daily Blotter (2/12/08):

A former Midtown restaurant employee has been arrested for extorting $600 from the business while terrorizing the staff, authorities said yesterday.

After Alfonso Falcon, 40, was fired as the manager of catering for Sugo! e Basilico at 545 Fifth Ave. on Jan. 28, he threatened to break windows and otherwise damage the business if he was not paid a sum of money, investigators said.

The next day, he allegedly phoned the eatery, threatened the general manager, saying, "I will rip your heart out," and demanded $600. On Feb. 8, the payoff was made and Falcon was arrested, a spokeswoman for the DA's office said.

John Schaefer, the host of the music program Soundcheck on WNYC, has some guests on his program talking about drug/alcohol references in popular music. Schaefer just played an excerpt from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and asked if its reference to "getting high" qualifies as a drug reference.

Of course, the lyrics don't actually say that. The lyric is "I can't hide," NOT "I get high," although it was famously misheard as "I get high" by Bob Dylan, who was amused to find out when he met the Beatles that they'd never smoked pot.

I was watching a program about fashion, for some reason, a few years ago. The music they chose to accompany some clips of the young lady trying on wedding dresses was Billy Idol's "White wedding". A nice romantic song about weddings... dingbats.

Depressing achievements in high dingbattery at The American Review.

I just read an article about William Carlos Williams in the current issue. Okay, the author had been startled to learn that Williams was half Latino and Hispanophone. Fine, it could happen.

But Montherlant's name is given as "Monterlant", T.E. Hulme's as "T.H. Hulme", and we're told that Derrida is Egyptian (!); in fact, an Egyptian (no, he was Algerian) Jew (yes he was) who "wrote in French" (yes, in his native language, quelle surprise). Wittgenstein's full name is given as "Ludwig von Wittgenstein" (not false, but tendentious - it's not what he called himself).

And the author teaches at NYU, and the article I guess was read and edited by various tenured dingbats.

And we worry about Danyelle Freeman.

Depressing achievements in high dingbattery at The American Review.

I just read an article about William Carlos Williams in the current issue. Okay, the author had been startled to learn that Williams was half Latino and Hispanophone. Fine, it could happen.

But Montherlant's name is given as "Monterlant", T.E. Hulme's as "T.H. Hulme", and we're told that Derrida is Egyptian (!); in fact, an Egyptian (no, he was Algerian) Jew (yes he was) who "wrote in French" (yes, in his native language, quelle surprise). Wittgenstein's full name is given as "Ludwig von Wittgenstein" (not false, but tendentious - it's not what he called himself).

And the author teaches at NYU, and the article I guess was read and edited by various tenured dingbats.

And we worry about Danyelle Freeman.

probably written by a quantum physicist.

• 4 weeks later...

Dingbat? Of course, me.

I can't remember where the Goodbyes are and don't have time to spend searching. Sigh. Maybe some of the brighter stars in the firmament can blow a kiss goodbye to Herb Peterson, inventor of the Egg McMuffin. There's an article in the International Herald Trib, too. And to help understand some of his contributions to Santa Barbara, try for: www.santabarbara.com/community/picture_library/la_arcada/album_standard.asp (So sorry we are still unable to link.).

He was such a delightful person. I only met him once when he owned the building where I worked, across the street from where the first Egg McMuffin was launched. Dear, dear, sweet man. If you were lucky to rent from him (and there was a waiting list!) in the La Arcada block on State Street in downtown SB, you were blessed. Best Landlord on the planet. You know, there really are some people who live kinder, gentler lives.

Dingbat? Of course, me.

I can't remember where the Goodbyes are and don't have time to spend searching.

Rebecca, it's here:

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//index.php?showforum=30

and I think you shoud memorialize him there. Sounds like a lovely man.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/03/27/...it-Peterson.php

Thank you so very much. I have to run off for an appointment right now but if anyone want to just move this into the forum=30 it would be appreciated. Admins are loafing anyway . . .

Always a sure-fire way to get people motivated to do your bidding!

What? Mild kidding doesn't work? Then I sincerely apologize for sounding slightly sarcastic. I was mostly referring to the maintenance of status quo re politics and religion and their renewed prohibition from having to deal with it. If I had their excellence of computer skills, diplomacy, time and kindness in volunteerism and obvious sheer joy of laughter in their lives, I would've offered long time ago to help out.

Local appalling radio station jauntily refers to itself as The Breeze (The Hot Air, more like). The graceless co-anchor reading a bit about Nim’s Island and trying unsuccessfully to pass the copy off as her own word, refers to Jodie Foster’s character as an “angoraphobic author.”

That would be a plot twister, but I can’t see it coming up much on a tropical island.