Wilfrid1

Dingbat of the Day

Why is there a cute animal on this thread? :angry:

Response to Deb's 8:21am post. Or are you just anti-bun in general?

Why is there a cute animal on this thread? :angry:

Response to Deb's 8:21am post. Or are you just anti-bun in general?

anti-bun???? No more scones? No more biscuits?

Pets will take over if we let them.

Oh, angora, got it...

I was confused, too, as I always think of the goats, but forget about the bunnies.

I can't remember if I read this in Time Out or elsewhere, but a passing Dingbat award to whichever music journalist described Nick Lowe as having come out of the 1970s punk scene (he has a gig with Robyn Hitchcock at the Grand Ballroom tomorrow night).

Tell that to Brinsley Schwartz. Lowe was making records ten years before the Sex Pistols, and was involved in the 1970s punk scene primarily as a producer. Hands up anyone who thinks Rockpile was a punk band, and Dave Edmunds a punk? Nobody? Good.

I think the reason people consider Nick Lowe part of the punk movement is because of his affiliation with Stiff Records. (I read that reference as well and found it odd)

I think that whole British Pub Rock scene has sort of been folded into the punk chronology, at least on this side of the pond.

Graham Parker came out of that same scene, but he too is commonly (and perhaps not incorrectly) thought of as a punk artist.

I suspect you're right, Seth. It looks very odd from a British perspective (including the take on Parker).

Yes, Lowe was the house producer at Stiff, and recorded the Damned's early releases. His own Stiff album is a real mix of styles. Jesus of Cool, from memory.

I had the great pleasure once of seeing Lowe and Dave Edmunds do an acoustic Everly Brothers set at an NME party. Not very punky.

Although the whole pub-rock, back to mono, small label (i.e., Stiff) thing that preceded punk proper did have its roots in the same rejection of pomp rock.

Ultimately true, but many of the pub rock bands - including Brinsley Schwartz (Lowe) - should not be thought of as playing anything like early or proto-punk music. Many of those bands rejected pomp rock in favor of country/folkish noodling.

I saw Dire Straits when they were at that stage of their development.

ETA: Aha, Brinsley Schwartz were managed by Dave Robinson, founder of Stiff. I had forgotten that.