One July 4th, my then secretary (provenance Long Island) mused that the Independence Day fireworks in England must be truly beautiful.

They must celebrate that in England "for sure" (read heavy Southern California accent)) - if for no other reason then they're very happy we're not part of them now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

My story is just too sad to be told ... but I actually declined an invitation to go with a pal who was driving up there. Stayed in and washed my hair. There was every reason to believe, at the time, that you'd be able to see the Pistols any night of the week for the foreseeable future. Then they appeared on TV, cursed out the interviewer, and the world went mad.

Don't know if this will make you feel any better, but I turned down what proved to be my only chance to see Hendrix in favor of a Joan Baez concert.

I'd like to make fun of that but then I am reminded of a question I asked David last year right around this time.

When is Cinqo de Mayo again? :ph43r: :lol:

That's not bad. I was once asked (by a fellow co-worker? undergrad?) how they celebrate Thanksgiving in Lebanon.

I shicksa I once dated asked whether my (Jewish) family celebrated Thanksgiving.

Actually, there are some communities in which Thanksgiving is routinely ignored. Head up to Rockland County and you'll find some.

One July 4th, my then secretary (provenance Long Island) mused that the Independence Day fireworks in England must be truly beautiful.

Did you tell her about the "Thank God Those Traitors are Gone" celebrations? :)

I still like the, possibly apocryphal, story about the Duke of Westminster, when the US government tried to buy the land on which their embassy stands he is reputed to have offered to swap it for the land in the US that was lost to his family when independence ocurred. They made enquiries only to discover it was best part of two states with holdings in some of the most prestigious cities to boot. :lol:

I still like the, possibly apocryphal, story about the Duke of Westminster, when the US government tried to buy the land on which their embassy stands he is reputed to have offered to swap it for the land in the US that was lost to his family when independence ocurred. They made enquiries only to discover it was best part of two states with holdings in some of the most prestigious cities to boot. :lol:

Probably not an apocryphal tale but the various land patents were bogus from the get-go. The colonization of this country was driven in part by land speculation schemes set up by various aristocrats who'd hoped to dupe the peasantry into settling & then sending rents back to the homeland forevermore.

One serious miscalculation they made was to use a bunch of Scotch-Irish to settle northern New England. Those guys weren't exactly keen on paying perpetual rents to British landlords.

• 4 weeks later...

Whoever is responsible, the Yankees web-site currently makes the following confident announcement:

The Yankees have consulted a weather forecasting service and have learned that today’s weather forecast calls for periods of rain showers.

Rival teams continue to predict the weather by reading tea-leaves or casting chicken bones, of course.

I put up several quarts of dill pickles yesterday. This morning I opened the fridge and saw the bunch of dill. Which I forgot to put in the pickles. :blush:

I crammed a lot into the jars but I don't have high expectations. Maybe I can sell them as pickles for people who don't really like dill...

I put up several quarts of dill pickles yesterday. This morning I opened the fridge and saw the bunch of dill. Which I forgot to put in the pickles. :blush:

I crammed a lot into the jars but I don't have high expectations. Maybe I can sell them as pickles for people who don't really like dill...

yup, just label 'em "lite dills"

Probably not an apocryphal tale but the various land patents were bogus from the get-go. The colonization of this country was driven in part by land speculation schemes set up by various aristocrats who'd hoped to dupe the peasantry into settling & then sending rents back to the homeland forevermore.

One serious miscalculation they made was to use a bunch of Scotch-Irish to settle northern New England. Those guys weren't exactly keen on paying perpetual rents to British landlords.

Also the case in western North Carolina, and southwestern Virgina.

dill-lites?

dill-lites?

Much better.

An item from the June 2008 edition of the Oldie caught my eye:

The Times (of London) recently criticised the Government's failure to meet its pledge of getting 50% of young adults into University by 2010. Perhaps the paper itself is suffering from this graduate shortage? The article stated: 'While the proportion of young women on undergraduate courses has risen, that of young men has dropped.' Indeed.

Another slightly obscure one, but a hearty "hey, dingbat!" to the new editor of Modern Painters magazine, who devotes the first half of her editorial this month to discussing why the magazine is called what it is called.

And she gives not the slightest hint that she knows it's named after a book by John Ruskin.

While not American, N comes from an English-speaking country. Recently, she mentioned to someone (young, college graduate), that her parents are coming to visit her, and other person said "Oh, do they speak English?" :blink:

We tried really hard not to burst into hysterical laughter.

Another slightly obscure one, but a hearty "hey, dingbat!" to the new editor of Modern Painters magazine, who devotes the first half of her editorial this month to discussing why the magazine is called what it is called.

And she gives not the slightest hint that she knows it's named after a book by John Ruskin.

Ah yes -- and then there was the time (a couple of years ago) that Paul made a reference to "Let a thousand flowers bloom" and got a blank stare from a history major a few years out of school. "You know, Chairman Mao's Little Red Book?" he nudged. "Who's Chairman Mao?" she responded. Argh.

These are really depressing.