• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

Boy is it worth flying cockles from NZ? I guess so.

As a kid, cockles were what you’d buy in bulk for Sunday tea to support the more expensive prawns, whelks, and winkles. Not to mention the jellied eels.

You would buy them by the pint or half pint, measured in mugs, from the stall outside any pub on a Sunday lunchtime.

• 8 months later...

So, I'm flambéing some bananas to make bananas foster...

207252649_Bananasfoster09-27.jpeg.3dd35d2e9fd16e14ddefd59fe8d15a63.jpeg

And of course I know to move the pan off the flame, pour the rum (which I've already set aside in a little container, so as not to pour it from the bottle) into the pan, and then ignite the liquor with the flame. I got a beautiful fire going, set off the smoke alarm, and the bananas foster is delicious.

Last night, I take off the mesh filters from my vent hood to run through the dishwasher (which I do weekly - they get gross), and on top of one of the filters there are a million pellets. I'm like - "what the fuck is this?"  Then I look up and see that the inner charcoal filter (recently replaced to the tune of $125) has a hole in it. Evidently I burned it with that gorgeous flambé. And it's filled, or should I say it was filled, with a million charcoal pellets. Not any more. 

What an idiot.

• 3 months later...

Let's award Hannah Goldfield a dingbat for this passage in her review of the fish and chips pop-up Dame.

That they didn’t seem to have much competition when it came to fish and chips led Szymanski to wonder if New Yorkers would be disinterested, but it turned out that the market was simply theirs to corner. 

I would say over 90% of bars in the city which have food menus serve fish and chips.