• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is something which could go in the Cheerful or Annoying category, but I think we need a niche for just good old air-headery.   One of the morning news shows featured a discussion of last night

Yes Wilf. Montrous commentary. I will not say anymoore because I'll be violating some our mores.

AAAA!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Images

No, I'm the dingbat.

Because as I failed to find my photo of my old neighborhood's laundromat, which I thought was named Ms. Bubbles (wrong, it was Wishwash), I found this photo from the same year.

How could I not have bought this?

100_3436-1-2.jpg

On 4/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, Steve R. said:

Did I ever mention the name of the Bodega on Hamilton Ave, under the BQE?  It was “Solo Pollo”, emblazoned in very large letters on their awning.   Followed underneath, in smaller letters, was the listing of things like “eggs, omelette, hero sandwiches...”. that were available.  Always good for a chuckle as I passed by.

I often wonder if the viejo yayo places sell old cocaine.

• Haha 1

Walked up to the greenmarket this morning. Samascott will take credit cards for purchases of $5 and above so no problem. Lani's has a $10 minimum. Open my bag to grab my wallet. Oops! Guy kindly let me charge my spring onions and wintered over broccoli raab.

(My second stop was the library where I learned that if you have the NYPL app, you can do self-check out which obliterates the need for one's library card - which was also in my wallet)

On 4/13/2021 at 8:14 PM, Sneakeater said:

Then there was "Excessive Drinking Rose During Pandemic".  I read this, somehow, as "excessive drinking of rosé", which didn't seem to me to be a big enough problem to attract the attention of the New York Times, but who knows what motivates their editorial policies?  When I saw the full headline and accompanying blurb on The Times' website, I realized what they were actually saying.

I can't help but note that The Times has changed that headline to "Excessive Drinking Has Risen".

You don't think . . . .

• 1 month later...

I almost sliced off the entire pad of my index finger while trying to cut some corn cobs. I spent almost 2 hours at Urgent Care and ended up with several stitches. At the time, the worst part was the four shots of local anesthetic to try to numb my finger. They start you off with two, but then add a couple of more if those don't work, one right at the injury site. That was the worst one. But now, several hours later, the numbing agent is wearing off and my finger is throbbing to the beat of my heart. Oh well, it could have been worse. Amputated finger. Nerve damage. Tendon damage. I didn't have any of those. Just some gushing blood and now a throbbing finger.  

I also learned that since pandemic started, they are seeing a lot more kitchen related injuries. 

3 hours ago, prasantrin said:

I almost sliced off the entire pad of my index finger while trying to cut some corn cobs. I spent almost 2 hours at Urgent Care and ended up with several stitches. At the time, the worst part was the four shots of local anesthetic to try to numb my finger. They start you off with two, but then add a couple of more if those don't work, one right at the injury site. That was the worst one. But now, several hours later, the numbing agent is wearing off and my finger is throbbing to the beat of my heart. Oh well, it could have been worse. Amputated finger. Nerve damage. Tendon damage. I didn't have any of those. Just some gushing blood and now a throbbing finger.  

I also learned that since pandemic started, they are seeing a lot more kitchen related injuries. 

I once did almost the same, except most of the tip/pad of my index finger came off. So I took it with me to the hospital, and when i asked the nurses if it could be sewn back on, they laughed at me.

Fingers do gush.

Ouch.

As a child, I almost sliced off the top part of a pinkie in a garage door, but it was partly attached, and knitted itself back into place quite happily. I think I saw in a New Yorker article recently that kids are better at that sort of healing.

4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

I once did almost the same, except most of the tip/pad of my index finger came off. So I took it with me to the hospital, and when i asked the nurses if it could be sewn back on, they laughed at me.

Fingers do gush.

Fingers and scalps always bleed a lot. Mine was gushing, not spurting or squirting, and that's always a good sign. It hasn't bled through the heavy layers of bandages and tubular gauze overnight, so that's good, but she said it may start bleeding again when I remove the gauze to change the bandages. 

I also learned that if the site of the injury is immediately numb, that's worse than if it grows numb over time.     

They wouldn't reattach your finger pad? But what about your fingerprint? Speaking of which, I'd better update all my apps that use biometrics for signing in. Most of them use my right index finger, and fortunately, this was my left finger. But not being able to sign into my banking app would have been very inconvenient.

31 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Ouch.

As a child, I almost sliced off the top part of a pinkie in a garage door, but it was partly attached, and knitted itself back into place quite happily. I think I saw in a New Yorker article recently that kids are better at that sort of healing.

Children are better at all sorts of healing. They are like little miracles. I had a smaller flap-type slice on my right ring finger pad that eventually re-attached itself, but it was a pretty shallow slice. I was 30 when I did that one, so practically a child ;-). I was kind of hoping to get away with some super glue to close this most recent injury, but the nurse took one look and said, "Yeah, you're going to need more than just glue," in that tone of voice that implied, "Are you delusional?" In a humorous way, of course.      

I finished making the corn chowder when I got home, but since it was after 10pm, I didn't eat any. It was a pretty good breakfast.

A couple of years ago, I nearly sliced the tip off my finger at work, via errant bagel slicing.  I had to almost apologize to my boss that I was leaving in the middle of the day because I was gushing blood.  However, there are no hospitals in the part of SF where my office is, so I had to go into one of those concierge medical services and beg to be seen, telling them I had insurance and could pay.  (Yes, they took me--active bleeding is a big FIX NOW sign.)

BTW, if you're accident-prone like N and me, home clotting powders are your friend.  It's saved both of us at least one trip to the ER.

@small h I hope the memory of my accident didn't interfere in your meal prep too much! I keep thinking I need to find my mandoline and make sure it's properly stored and that the finger guard is still there.     

I think the incident gave me a little bit of ptsd. I feel a little panicky when I have to use a knife, and so have avoided doing anything related to cooking but reheat leftovers since Sunday. I also feel a little nervous when I watch anyone else use a knife, which made watching Top Chef Canada a bit stressful.      

I think the NP did a great job putting me back together, though. She did her best to line up the two sections of severed blood vessel before she started stitching, and as a result, I did not bleed through my bandages at all. She prepared me to expect heavy-ish continued bleeding, and even gave me a bunch of supplies so I could change them when needed. Now I have free first aid supplies!