Cast Iron Skillet

If you don't have a self-cleaning oven, and the pan needs the full treatment, you can put oven cleaner all over the pan, put it in a plastic bag and let it sit for 24 hours, to get the same effect.

Oh, that's a good idea too. I do have a self-cleaning oven, but I don't leave my racks in the oven when I clean it, so that would make leaving a pan in it rather difficult. While growing up, my parents always threw grimy pans into a large campfire when we went up to the Sequoias camping, but that's not really an available option anymore.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There might be some cursing going on.

If you don't have a self-cleaning oven, and the pan needs the full treatment, you can put oven cleaner all over the pan, put it in a plastic bag and let it sit for 24 hours, to get the same effect.

Oh, that's a good idea too. I do have a self-cleaning oven, but I don't leave my racks in the oven when I clean it, so that would make leaving a pan in it rather difficult. While growing up, my parents always threw grimy pans into a large campfire when we went up to the Sequoias camping, but that's not really an available option anymore.

I take my racks out, too, and all but the largest pans sit comfortably on the bottom of the oven. I recommend putting them in upside-down if there's a lot of crud on the bottom of the pan.

• 11 years later...
1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I just bought a Lodge 2 sided griddle. Here's my question - how do I season the darned thing? Do I do one side at at time? Or is there a way to do both sides simultaneously?

Is one side flat and the other side for"grilling?"  If so, then I would just season the flat side, and not worry too much about the other.

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I just bought a Lodge 2 sided griddle. Here's my question - how do I season the darned thing? Do I do one side at at time? Or is there a way to do both sides simultaneously?

We have one of these. To season I just oiled up the whole thing relatively lightly  (both sides) and threw it in the oven and then reapplied a thin coat after about an hour and then back in the oven for a second hour.

• 2 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Ok, so I oiled it up, put it in a 350 oven for an hour and let it cool. Now it's sticky. What do I do?

IMHO, you've done everything as advised.   But in truth, the way you season a pan is to use it.   With oil, grease, or butter.   My best seasoned pans have been used repeatedly for saute, crepes, frying tortillas chips.   In other words, the repeated cooking with oil or fats.  

Follow instructions, if you must, but better just keep using the pan for cooking that requires lots of fat, NOT SEARING, and it will season itself.    And remember, of course, that detergents are NOT your friend.