• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Maranos faked conversion but kept consiously practicing Judaism in secret.

Conversos actually considered themselves Catholics and had no idea why they had certain peculiar vestigial cultural traits. They did not practice Judaism or consider themselves Jews.

revisionist scholarship today usually (though not always) claims that some Marranos were not crypto-Jews but were in fact authentic conversions.

its probably more useful to see Marranos as a subset of conversos...since Marranos always knew that they were Jewish.

(to analogize...there were quite a few faked conversions in order to escape the Holocaust but a few were apparently real...there's that one French cardinal (and a contender for the papacy) who was such a conversion)

I think you mean sainthood, not the papacy. There are no dead popes.

the guy's alive...and he was believed to be one of the contenders at the last papal election

You're thinking of Cardinal Jean-Marie Lustiger. He died in August, 07.

Obit

Cross-purposes. I was thinking about London - but yes, Ludja addresses the question of delis elsewhere in the States.

A London term was "salt beef bar", which would be Jewish and serve much the same food as a deli. I see the remaining branch of Bloom's now calls itself a "kosher deli restaurant" - whether it did so fifty years ago, only Macrosan can tell us. :ph43r:

Ok I'm somewhat late to the argument/discussion/thread.

I don't have the benefits of age that Macrosan has :lol: but I have to say I instinctively know what a deli is and Blooms ticks that box, as does the likes of Reubens in London as well. I'd firmly put them in the same category as 2nd Ave and the like. I'm sure there are differences some afficionados would argue about, but all of them instinctively are delis in my mind.

One other point on the perennial issue of Jewish cuisine: why has no-one mentioned fish and chips?

if you people would just preemptively enter your side of the argument as "fact" on wikipedia, he'd simply quote your "fact" as authoritative and as his own idea and you'd win every time. sheesh. know your opponent and use his "strength" against him. :lol:

if you people would just preemptively enter your side of the argument as "fact" on wikipedia, he'd simply quote your "fact" as authoritative and as his own idea and you'd win every time. sheesh. know your opponent and use his "strength" against him. :lol:

I tried it, but the bloody bored editors there only took two hours to take my new ingredients out of Carbonara.

I tried it, but the bloody bored editors there only took two hours to take my new ingredients out of Carbonara.

the bastards! don't they understand what we're up against? it's frickin' "cloverfield"

One other point on the perennial issue of Jewish cuisine: why has no-one mentioned fish and chips?

Nice one! Not, I think, associated with Jewish cuisine in New York - correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the UK goes, a discussion picks up at post 12-ish on this MF thread, from the days when giants like Tuckerman and Adam Balic strode the boards. :wub:

(I can't imagine what the dynamics of this thread would be like if Tuckerman was still with us....)