One other point on the perennial issue of Jewish cuisine: why has no-one mentioned fish and chips?

Nice one! Not, I think, associated with Jewish cuisine in New York - correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the UK goes, a discussion picks up at post 12-ish on this MF thread, from the days when giants like Tuckerman and Adam Balic strode the boards. :wub:

(I can't imagine what the dynamics of this thread would be like if Tuckerman was still with us....)

Hear, hear

I think you're almost certainly right. It's very specific to English food being influenced by Jewish immigrants from Portugal.

As it happens and I can't be arsed to check if anyone picked up on this - I'm guessing they did - Adam was wrong, traditional Jewish fryers wouldn't fry in beef fat, for the simple reason that combining meat and fish isn't considered kosher. However, I've no idea what they were fried in. No doubt if I bothered to read the rest of that thread, i'd be better informed.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other point on the perennial issue of Jewish cuisine: why has no-one mentioned fish and chips?

Nice one! Not, I think, associated with Jewish cuisine in New York - correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as the UK goes, a discussion picks up at post 12-ish on this MF thread, from the days when giants like Tuckerman and Adam Balic strode the boards. :wub:

(I can't imagine what the dynamics of this thread would be like if Tuckerman was still with us....)

Hear, hear

I think you're almost certainly right. It's very specific to English food being influenced by Jewish immigrants from Portugal.

As it happens and I can't be arsed to check if anyone picked up on this - I'm guessing they did - Adam was wrong, traditional Jewish fryers wouldn't fry in beef fat, for the simple reason that combining meat and fish isn't considered kosher. However, I've no idea what they were fried in. No doubt if I bothered to read the rest of that thread, i'd be better informed.

my guess is peanut or blended vegetable oil. probably peanut oil.

Tuckerman responded on the next page:

The Jews did not use beef fat. They fried in oil-olive oil when they could, but generally vegetacle or corn oil. Present day Jewish style fish and chip shops (even if they're not run by Jews) never use beef fat. They use groundnut oil mainly-and will offer a batter of egg enriched matzoh meal which is rich, but gives a lovely flakey texture to the batter. Will just have to agree to disagree on the superiority of beef fat- I cannot concur at all.

Tuckerman responded on the next page:

The Jews did not use beef fat. They fried in oil-olive oil when they could, but generally vegetacle or corn oil. Present day Jewish style fish and chip shops (even if they're not run by Jews) never use beef fat. They use groundnut oil mainly-and will offer a batter of egg enriched matzoh meal which is rich, but gives a lovely flakey texture to the batter. Will just have to agree to disagree on the superiority of beef fat- I cannot concur at all.

I knew I should have read on and it was a fairly safe bet Tony would have the answer.

Marano (Marannos) - Maranos are Spanish or Portuguese Jewish Conversos. A Converso is a Jew or Arab who had converted to Christianity, generally under coercion, or one of their descendants.

Neat, I didn't realize one could convert from being Arab.

since there's no proper search function, I can't tell what was originally said about kippers.

Easily found. You first mentioned kippers as one among a number of foods here. Jessika argued with you, but it's not clear that she was arguing specifically about kippers.

I think that Nathan is confusing kippers with kippered salmon, a name for what most people call baked salmon, or at least a name my family used to refer to baked salmon.

But is Turkish related to Finnish, please?

No, but Hungarian is related to Finnish.

true dat

The plural of anecdots is not dat.

It took me all this time to get that. :blush:

I'm just glad you got it & said so, I was hangin' out there all by myself for a long time! :lol:

since there's no proper search function, I can't tell what was originally said about kippers.

Easily found. You first mentioned kippers as one among a number of foods here. Jessika argued with you, but it's not clear that she was arguing specifically about kippers.

I think that Nathan is confusing kippers with kippered salmon, a name for what most people call baked salmon, or at least a name my family used to refer to baked salmon.

no. I've been eating kippers all my life. nothing to do with salmon...other than being seafood. never heard of kippered salmon.