The Decline and Fall of American Food TV

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

Rick Bayless' show?

But on Food Network?

Not enough people interested in that type of food.

I think that's true but is there any interest in Caribbean food really, I mean outside of the Cuban and Puerto Rican communities? I think they just lump all Latin food together and think they're filling a void.

I think that if there is a Latin food/cooking that deserves to have its own show it is Mexican. Even in the Food Network. There are Mexican restaurants in every metropolitan area I have been. There are Mexican restaurants in Paris and Beijing. Within the Caribbean there are two major categories. Cooking from former Spanish colonies and the rest. Within the Spanish (Cuba, the D.R. and P.R.) there are considerable differences but not as big as the difference with Jamaican or Haitian or Trinidadian. I don't think any of them individually could carry a show in a national network but I think Mexican food could.

Cooking from former Spanish colonies

This would make a fascinating show. You could show the original recipes and how they changed and adapted to local ingredients. And even touch on how local ingredients influenced Madre España.

Or you could have a show on how to make tortillas, tamale pie and other Mexican nummies using corn muffin mix.

How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

Rick Bayless' show?

But on Food Network?

30 minute mole?

Semi-homemade tacos?

I have to claim ignorance -- all I knew was that he did a show, but didn't know for what network or how good/lame the show was.

I stopped watching any food-related television when Julia passed away... Everything seemed to pale in comparison. :(

I will say this about Food Network, is that they were ballsy (perhaps desperate for lack of talent?) enough to bring aboard a real PBS-style cook like Daisy Martinez. If you missed the first run of the 6 pilot episodes on FN, I urge you to tivo the next run.

i watched a few episodes and can't say i'm excited about the food or tempted to make any. Daisy is very instructive and detailed just not my speed.

I really like Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and have actually cooked a number of things from the show as everything she makes not only looks so appealing, it's easy to make as well and i don't have a lot of time for elaborate preparations. I love Anne and have worked with her so make of it what you will but she really has inspired me to cook and i think the show is both informative and entertaining.

Deb and I watch Burrell's show because we enjoy her cooking and also her penchant to emit deep growls of joy that remind us of Pee Wee Herman. We keep a count - the average is 6 per show.

I thought the Daisy show was full of FN schtick. It's poppa's birthday so we're doing this, or Sonny got an A on hist test so he gets to pick his favorite dish. The food seems awfully pedestrian but I suspect she's much better than she lets on.

I think this and Ingrid what's her name make rwo Caribbean shows. How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

The Martinez show isn't remotely like that Ingrid Hoffman abomination, aka "Charo Cooks!" Hoffman minced around the kitchen, winking and doing cutesy voices. Daisy is easy to take.

I will say this about Food Network, is that they were ballsy (perhaps desperate for lack of talent?) enough to bring aboard a real PBS-style cook like Daisy Martinez. If you missed the first run of the 6 pilot episodes on FN, I urge you to tivo the next run.

i watched a few episodes and can't say i'm excited about the food or tempted to make any. Daisy is very instructive and detailed just not my speed.

I really like Anne Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef and have actually cooked a number of things from the show as everything she makes not only looks so appealing, it's easy to make as well and i don't have a lot of time for elaborate preparations. I love Anne and have worked with her so make of it what you will but she really has inspired me to cook and i think the show is both informative and entertaining.

Deb and I watch Burrell's show because we enjoy her cooking and also her penchant to emit deep growls of joy that remind us of Pee Wee Herman. We keep a count - the average is 6 per show.

i would totally watch a pee wee herman cooking show.

I thought the Daisy show was full of FN schtick. It's poppa's birthday so we're doing this, or Sonny got an A on hist test so he gets to pick his favorite dish. The food seems awfully pedestrian but I suspect she's much better than she lets on.

I think this and Ingrid what's her name make rwo Caribbean shows. How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

The Martinez show isn't remotely like that Ingrid Hoffman abomination, aka "Charo Cooks!" Hoffman minced around the kitchen, winking and doing cutesy voices. Daisy is easy to take.

You mentioned this before and I thought you were being too sensitive but having seen 3 or 4 more episodes, she is pretty awful. But I think the food is comparable.

Cooking from former Spanish colonies

This would make a fascinating show. You could show the original recipes and how they changed and adapted to local ingredients. And even touch on how local ingredients influenced Madre España.

Or you could have a show on how to make tortillas, tamale pie and other Mexican nummies using corn muffin mix.

You should do it. Martin Yan wrote an interesting book about Chinatowns (with the companion PBS series, of course) throughout the world. You could do something like that for Mexican food.