The Decline and Fall of American Food TV

I thought the Daisy show was full of FN schtick. It's poppa's birthday so we're doing this, or Sonny got an A on hist test so he gets to pick his favorite dish. The food seems awfully pedestrian but I suspect she's much better than she lets on.

I think this and Ingrid what's her name make rwo Caribbean shows. How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

The Martinez show isn't remotely like that Ingrid Hoffman abomination, aka "Charo Cooks!" Hoffman minced around the kitchen, winking and doing cutesy voices. Daisy is easy to take.

You mentioned this before and I thought you were being too sensitive but having seen 3 or 4 more episodes, she is pretty awful. But I think the food is comparable.

The FN promoted the hell out of the Hoffman show. There were about 3 different 30 second clips but my favorite featured Hoffman at the seaside running from a giant beach ball. It looked like a Caribbean version of The Prisoner.

The food wasn't bad though. I just couldn't stand Hoffman.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Chopped a few days ago,for the first and last time...what a piece of #@*!Why do tv food shows persist in making people create finished dishes from such horrid ingredient combinations?What is the point?Why on earth would I want to whip up a dessert with tortillas,Canadian bacon and Prosecco[or whatever the hell that was...]A Waste of time and money

I watched Chopped a few days ago,for the first and last time...what a piece of #@*!Why do tv food shows persist in making people create finished dishes from such horrid ingredient combinations?What is the point?Why on earth would I want to whip up a dessert with tortillas,Canadian bacon and Prosecco[or whatever the hell that was...]A Waste of time and money

it's wrong to waste food like that when there are children starving in the world

I thought the Daisy show was full of FN schtick. It's poppa's birthday so we're doing this, or Sonny got an A on hist test so he gets to pick his favorite dish. The food seems awfully pedestrian but I suspect she's much better than she lets on.

I think this and Ingrid what's her name make rwo Caribbean shows. How's about an actual show on Mexican food?

She is much better than she lets on. If you want to see what GOT her the FN gig, look at the season she did on PBS, Daisy Cooks!.

The first six FN episodes were a trial run. It was Rachael Ray's first foray into producing. My understanding is that Daisy will have more creative control in future episodes and there wil be less FN "Schtick".

Remember this next time you're on a desert Island and all you have is from the pantry of a cruise line.

The Martinez show isn't remotely like that Ingrid Hoffman abomination, aka "Charo Cooks!" Hoffman minced around the kitchen, winking and doing cutesy voices. Daisy is easy to take.

I really wish everyone could see Daisy's real off-screen personality. If they did THAT as a show, it would be amazing. The problem is, if they did that, they'd have to put it on HBO.

Daisy is an FCI graduate, so she knows how to cook, for real. She's done a ton of travel in Latin America and Spain and has a very good grasp of all the different cultures cuisines. Ingrid did not have a real culinary background, Daisy does. She's also a mom and a very down to earth person. I've eaten her food in person, I know her personally, I talk to her on a weekly basis. She's not a FN talking head.

My understanding of the first 6 episodes is that FN wanted to play it close to formula and dumb down the food for Americans that could understand it, IE the typical Sandra Lee or Rachael Ray audience. It was a trial run to see if people would accept her as an on-screen personality. Her ratings have kicked ass, she's beaten Tyler Florence consistently and even one week actually beat out Rachael. So we're hoping in the next run they'll ease up a bit and let the dishes be a bit more sophisticated and Daisy's production team produce more like the way they want it to be shown.

I'm not much of a cooking show fan but I enjoyed the three or four episodes of Daisy's show that I watched. I don't own her book but I made her flan recipe and I thought it was good but not the ideal recipe. I presume most of her intended audience is not expert in making caramel and her technique would lead many newcomers to caramel to fail. In addition, her recipe made far too much custard for my pan but too much custard is never a bad thing and lord knows pans advertised as the same size are often different. The finished flan was great.

My understanding of the first 6 episodes is that FN wanted to play it close to formula and dumb down the food for Americans that could understand it, IE the typical Sandra Lee or Rachael Ray audience.

The "food" on Sandra Lee's show is infinitely worse than on Ray-Ray's. Lee's audience are the type of people who feel a real sense of accomplishment when they manage to make a box of Stove Top stuffing.

My understanding of the first 6 episodes is that FN wanted to play it close to formula and dumb down the food for Americans that could understand it, IE the typical Sandra Lee or Rachael Ray audience.

The "food" on Sandra Lee's show is infinitely worse than on Ray-Ray's. Lee's audience are the type of people who feel a real sense of accomplishment when they manage to make a box of Stove Top stuffing.

you know, you do have have to measure water and margarine to make stovetop

Exactly. Or expect them to prepare delicious collard greens in twenty minutes. "This is raw." Well, yes...

Perhaps Tailor is looking to add someone to the line?

I stumbled on a new show called Man v. Food, not even sure if it's the FN or Travel Channel or where it airs, but I was just stunned by its vulgarity. The whole suspense of the show was built on whether that guy can down the five more spoonfuls of the ginormous amount of food he's been gorging himself with. Disgusting.

Somebody has to explain the thrill to me. I don't get it.

Deb and I watch Burrell's show because we enjoy her cooking and also her penchant to emit deep growls of joy that remind us of Pee Wee Herman. We keep a count - the average is 6 per show.

you do? she got a lot of flack for the growls and voices when the show first started airing, nice to see someone enjoys it.