The Decline and Fall of American Food TV

Deb and I watch Burrell's show because we enjoy her cooking and also her penchant to emit deep growls of joy that remind us of Pee Wee Herman. We keep a count - the average is 6 per show.

you do? she got a lot of flack for the growls and voices when the show first started airing, nice to see someone enjoys it.

I think they're sort of cool. She's obviously is having a good time and it shows. She's also very talented.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched Chopped a few days ago,for the first and last time...what a piece of #@*!Why do tv food shows persist in making people create finished dishes from such horrid ingredient combinations?What is the point?Why on earth would I want to whip up a dessert with tortillas,Canadian bacon and Prosecco[or whatever the hell that was...]A Waste of time and money

They are bringing Chopped to NBC, of all places. I saw the trailer last night. At first I thought it was a Dexter ripoff featuring a meat-cleaver psycho killer.

When I finally figured out what it was, they were billing the host as "the world's greatest chef." :blink: Didn't mention his name, mind you, only the catch phrase.

They must be insanely desperate for audience.

I stumbled on a new show called Man v. Food, not even sure if it's the FN or Travel Channel or where it airs, but I was just stunned by its vulgarity. The whole suspense of the show was built on whether that guy can down the five more spoonfuls of the ginormous amount of food he's been gorging himself with. Disgusting.

Somebody has to explain the thrill to me. I don't get it.

The same one that makes competitive eating contests commercially viable? It's on the Travel Channel (no, I don't watch it or eating contests either, not even the highlights on ESPN).

I watched Chopped a few days ago,for the first and last time...what a piece of #@*!Why do tv food shows persist in making people create finished dishes from such horrid ingredient combinations?What is the point?Why on earth would I want to whip up a dessert with tortillas,Canadian bacon and Prosecco[or whatever the hell that was...]A Waste of time and money

They are bringing Chopped to NBC, of all places. I saw the trailer last night. At first I thought it was a Dexter ripoff featuring a meat-cleaver psycho killer.

When I finally figured out what it was, they were billing the host as "the world's greatest chef." :blink: Didn't mention his name, mind you, only the catch phrase.

They must be insanely desperate for audience.

Not Ted Allen, then. :unsure:

Marco Pierre White. Is this his don't call it a comeback return to the celebrity food world?

I think it's his "Fuck, I was ten years too early to make a mint out of doing very little on TV like that annoying little shit Ramsay. I hope I can still cash in" moment.

Deb and I watch Burrell's show because we enjoy her cooking and also her penchant to emit deep growls of joy that remind us of Pee Wee Herman. We keep a count - the average is 6 per show.

you do? she got a lot of flack for the growls and voices when the show first started airing, nice to see someone enjoys it.

I think they're sort of cool. She's obviously is having a good time and it shows. She's also very talented.

Watched her show once and I quite like it. It's intelligent without being intimidating or overly patronizing. She's not a cookie cutter FN "chefs" for sure.

Marco Pierre White. Is this his don't call it a comeback return to the celebrity food world?

I think it's his "Fuck, I was ten years too early to make a mint out of doing very little on TV like that annoying little shit Ramsay. I hope I can still cash in" moment.

That annoying little shit protege of his who he taught everything he knows about savagery and nastiness but who remains but a pale imitation? MPW lite.

That annoying little shit protege of his who he taught everything he knows about savagery and nastiness but who remains but a pale imitation? MPW lite.

Worse. There are two annoying derivative little shit proteges -- Batali is the other -- who are making vastly more money than the originally savage MPW. (Who threw Elizabeth David out of his restaurant -- now that's balls.)