Wilfrid1

Casa Mono

Agree on all counts. I think I have decided, after having many versions here and in Spain, that tortilla just doesn't float my boat. And I could have done without the waiter, adorable as he was, high-fiving me when I told him my wine choice.

We began at Cibar, which really has delicious cocktails. I had a very good martini and a concoction of pomegranate juice, seltzer and gin which was most refreshing. Breaking my self-imposed One Cocktail Only rule did mean I had a bit of a headache the next morning. I need to stop drinking with people named Johnson. :o

Ask them about the first time we went to Casa Mono, one Christmas Eve. You got off lightly.

Ouch.

I don't think we ever wrote up that meal at Casa Mono, did we?

Cibar does do good cocktails. A new one for me was a Ginger thing (ginger vodka based with sprig of fresh mint--which tickled my throat!)

Back to Bar Jamon--I missed the high-five. I liked the waiter as, for the most part, anyway, he was to the point and efficient.

I don't think we ever wrote up that meal at Casa Mono, did we?

By the time I had recovered, I could recall little.

Back to Bar Jamon--I missed the high-five. I liked the waiter as, for the most part, anyway, he was to the point and efficient.

And very good-looking. :o

If you get to Bar Jamon around 3:30 on a Sunday afternoon, you just may get seats. We were lucky--the place filled up soon after we arrived. Very good olives and jamon as always, but the outstanding dish was tender marinated calamari heaped on a slab of garlicky toast. I need to find out where they get their bread from because it is excellent. 2001 Laurona, a Catalan Monsant, was quite nice and well-priced. This was an enjoyable way to kill an hour.

Good lunch today at Casa Mono with my vegetarian cousin. We had:

Artichokes with mint

Asparagus

Mushrooms

Patatas Bravas

Salad with Manchego

(I got duck egg with potato and dried tuna)

Crema Catalana

1 glass each of sherry - a manzanilla

Great place for a vegetarian, and everything was delicious.

For sardine lovers: the marinated ones at Bar Jamon are awesome. They made a very nice late lunch/snack when accompanied by a glass of sparkling rose and some of that excellent bread.

At Casa Mono, I've only sat at the open kitchen and somehow that feels very spacious to me. The tables do look a bit claustrophobic. I've gotten there at 6 on a Saturday with no wait for a seat at the open kitchen and I've gone at 9 on weekdays and have had to wait for as long as a half hour.

My favorite dishes there are the skirt steak and the duck egg with mojama. I've gotten those as main dishes. For smaller plates my favorite is the pumpkin and goat cheese croquettes.

I just tried the duck egg last week and while it's excellent, I wouldn't rate it as high as the steak. It must be over a month at this point, but I'm still thinking about this steak. The romesco is probably the best that I've ever had and the onion marmalade has just the right level of sweetness. The overall blend of flavors is amazing.

I've never had sweetbreads before and on a different thread, Omnivorette recommended I try them at Casa Mono. How large is the sweetbreads dish? I'm thinking I'm going to need to get the steak again - hopefully I'll be able to fit both the steak and the sweetbreads ;)

If Casa Mono has Bar Jamon's marinated sardines, maybe I'll do that as an appetizer - thanks for the recommendation Daisy! :lol:

Note to the smiling maitre d' at Casa Mono: telling someone who arrives at the restaurant at 4 PM and observes one patron at the bar and two tables occupied that she must sit at the bar because "we try to save tables for parties of two or more" is really, really STUPID.

Note to the smiling maitre d' at Casa Mono: telling someone who arrives at the restaurant at 4 PM and observes one patron at the bar and two tables occupied that she must sit at the bar because "we try to save tables for parties of two or more" is really, really STUPID.

I once let her know that their reservation policy was ill-conceived, they were holding a high number of tables late on a Tuesday night when it was pouring out. She didn't take to it too kindly, and obviously didn't provide the promised phone call "just after 10 if the tables don't fill up" to me. We ate around the corner and knocked and waved on the door as we passed the half full restaurant an hour or so later.

Its that awful, fucked-up Batali reservation story all over again. I recently called way in advance to book a table for five at Casa Mono and was given the "5:30 or 10:30" story which is what you always get at Babbo as well.

If you are not Michael Stipe or Conan O'Brien or a Bastianich or Bono (who I saw in Babbo during a recent successful capture of two bar seats) you ain't getting a prime time reservation, period. You, juuceman, are a Nobody just like I am. :blink:

Its that awful, fucked-up Batali reservation story all over again. I recently called way in advance to book a table for five at Casa Mono and was given the "5:30 or 10:30" story which is what you always get at Babbo as well.

If you are not Michael Stipe or Conan O'Brien or a Bastianich or Bono (who I saw in Babbo during a recent successful capture of two bar seats) you ain't getting a prime time reservation, period. You, juuceman, are a Nobody just like I am. :blink:

That 5:30/10:30 bullshit has been for fucking ever. I hope when the crash comes, they go belly-up first. The next time someone tells me 5:30/10:30 I'm going to tell them where they can stuff that.