• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Plans to eat some jamon at the eponymous bar were set aside when it turned out to be closed in the afternoon (although packed with restaurant staff tucking into their between-shift meal ).   The

Okay made a res at Alta. Will see what my friend prefers.

Why thank you.

There you go - this is why Babbo is never even on my list. As said above, the food might be pretty good, but not good enough for me to be treated like a turd. Daniel had an awful reputation for this as well, in the days of Bruno Never - I don't know if the situation has improved.

It certainly doesn't have to be this way, because Jean-Georges, ADNY (and, as far as I remember, Le Bernardin) run their reservation books in an accessible, courteous and even-handed way. And those are probably the best restaurants in the city.

I ate at Lupa last night. Walked in with a friend at 8pm. The big communal table in front had two seats open on the end, we took 'em. Our server was a dork (we kept calling her "miss happiness") but ya know what - the food was good. Loud as hell though.

I'm not a huge fan of that table, finding it really wide, thus making for good large party conversation (as it spreads out the group so you're not limited to speaking only with the person directly across from you) but at the same time makes for difficult 2 person conversation..

I eat at Lupa regularly. My favorite is the orechiette special with the pork sausage and whatever greens they are using that night. The braised escarole is the best in town.

I always sit at the bar and receive excellent, friendly service there. Sometimes it can take a while to be seated though, but that is a factor of the crowd of people waiting to be served - not the actual service.

I eat at Lupa regularly. My favorite is the orechiette special with the pork sausage and whatever greens they are using that night. The braised escarole is the best in town.

I always sit at the bar and receive excellent, friendly service there. Sometimes it can take a while to be seated though, but that is a factor of the crowd of people waiting to be served - not the actual service.

always good, i enjoy the spicy cauliflower ragu as well..

I have had several good meals there as well. I really liked the thin-sliced zucchini, fried, and served with mint and chile flakes.

I have had several good meals there as well. I really liked the thin-sliced zucchini, fried, and served with mint and chile flakes.

Was that a special? I don't recall that dish. It sound marvelous though!

I'm trying to talk myself out of my sweet tooth, but the panna cotta or the spiced dates with marscapone always make me succumb to dessert.

Back to Casa Mono (sort of)...

I have not yet tried the patatas bravas dish. It always looks so enormous. But I really enjoy the patatas bravas at Tia Pol. How do these compare in quality?

Another comparison - croquetas in nyc: Casa Mono's pumpkin and goat cheese croquetas are delectable as are whatever croquetas Wesley is doing at Degustation. I am less interested in the Baccala croquetas at Casa Mono. They remind me of fish sticks from when I was a kid (although I'm sure they are of much superior ingredients and preparation - this is just the personal response of my palate). I have only once had the croquetas at Tia Pol. I remember them as being a bit heavy, but nice in flavor.

What are other peoples' recommendations for places to get good croquetas?

Strong: "Boqueria is sleek and cool—with glossy cream colored walls covered in oversized subway tiled walls, linen globe lanterns, and high top tables matched with tall retro-styled leather stools."

Why the fuck not just call it Nothing Like La Boqueria?

• 5 weeks later...
I ate at Lupa last night. Walked in with a friend at 8pm. The big communal table in front had two seats open on the end, we took 'em. Our server was a dork (we kept calling her "miss happiness") but ya know what - the food was good. Loud as hell though.
Having heard many good things about Lupa, I tried to go there twice this year. Both times, it was so intolerably loud that I nixed the choice (and yes it was my choice), called my friend who was on route in a taxi and said "Tell the driver Babbo instead". Of course, I called Babbo first to verify the bar situation which is absolutely mandatory to do if you don't like 1-1.5 hour waits from time to time.

There you go - this is why Babbo is never even on my list. As said above, the food might be pretty good, but not good enough for me to be treated like a turd.
I agree that the maitre d always has a frown on his face, and I almost always eat at the bar or in that front room when I go because I'm not going to deal with getting a real reservation, but that said, I find the service to be good or better than good. Granted, at this point I know the guys behind the bar pretty well now, but they seem extremely nice, friendly and accomodating to everybody. And they are very knowledgable about the food and wine. What more do you need. One thing, for me. Dealing with my requests to try a couple (a couple = 2 or 3 or ...) of those wines by the glass to make a better-than-good selection. Once again, all of the above adjectives apply to how that request is handled by them. Separate glasses for each wine, an appropriate on-target description for each wine, even proposing an additional wine to try if it's now me who is still doing the frowning.

I'm happy there. But, a word to the wise, always call ahead and ask what the wait looks like. During the beginning of the week, if you are 1 or 2 and are okay with arriving at 9.45pm, you got a reasonable shot of just plopping yourself right down at the bar upon arrival.

With automn upon us, that lamb's tongue salad, those pastas (when 2, get 2 and they happily serve you each 1/2 portions sequentially), the sweetbreads main, that pork chop, even the semifreddo (automn, schmautomn) ... Mamma Mia!

• 2 months later...

Went here on a whim for lunch today. Started off with a manzanilla whose name I can't remember, some good bread, and okay olives.

--Casa Mono salad: a huge pile of frisee with a dressing that included peanuts, plus 3 slices of manchego. I would have been happy to have had this and the sherry for lunch, it was that good.

--Fideo with clams and chorizo: small, thin noodles with bits of chorizo and several clams. I was expecting slices of chorizo, and the noodles were a little greasy. Also, this was mounded in a small serving tray, causing a good deal of messiness when I tried to eat it; it would have been better off served in a place.

--Sauteed mushrooms: enough garlic to keep Dracula away. But I love garlic, so this is not necessarily a complaint.

--Bread pudding with orange sauce, golden raisins, and horchata ice cream: the pudding was a little tough on top, but moist inside and studded with currants. Sauce was good, but the ice cream didn't taste that much of horchata. If I didn't know, I would have sworn it was vanilla.