It is - but you know what? I had a blast when I was there. We do a dinner once a year with my (non-foodie) cousins and we went to El Cholo one year. It was one of our favorite dinners because everyone relaxed and embraced the kitsch. Plenty of margarita's didn't hurt either. :blush:

On Friday, some decidedly non-foodie friends are getting together there. I'll be there, hopefully, if I'm not really catching a cold and it's just allergies. Is it as kitchy as the website makes it seem?

4 generations of women from The Scream's family congregate there at least once a year. It's old school L.A. Mexican, but fun stuff for nostalgic reasons. I always get the crab enchiladas.

el cholo is a l.a institution--not really for the food. but they make a good cadillac margarita. i used to get their crab-meat enchilada and also the suiza.

are you going to the koreatown mothership?

I think so, though I have no idea where Koreatown is. . . . I'm not picky so I'm sure it'll be fine. I was just wondering what to expect.

According to the map, it's 35 miles from Orange and takes 40 min to 1 hr 40 min depending on traffic. Any thoughts on which end of the spectrum is more likely on a Fri evening? My limited experience says longer rather than shorter.

If you're going to the one on Western, that's K-town. If you're coming from Orange, I suggest leaving before 2:00.

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. And I thought leaving at 10 was early, 7 just isn't going to happen.

It's not my party so I'm just showing up. I can't drink alcohol and green corn tamales aren't available until May 1, so I guess I'll just suffer. ;)

If you're going to the one on Western, that's K-town. If you're coming from Orange, I suggest leaving before 2:00.

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. And I thought leaving at 10 was early, 7 just isn't going to happen.

It's not my party so I'm just showing up. I can't drink alcohol and green corn tamales aren't available until May 1, so I guess I'll just suffer. ;)

Avoid the tostada.